Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I have some boar hunting tips please

Can I have some boar hunting tips please

Hi Guys,

So, I've just got confirmation that a mate of mine has just bought a farm in Monmouthshire and I'll have permission to shoot on it. He showed me photos of damage in the fields caused by boar so I'm fairly excited!

I'm going to head over in a couple of weeks to check it out and have a walk around. I've not had any dealings with boar before so what am I looking for for evidence of boar activity and what might be some good strategies for getting my first wild boar? dusk and dawn a good start? Lamping? high seats as per deer?

Any tips welcome.

Cheers, J

Feed stations and well positioned (comfortable) high seats

Feed station near evidence, decent rifle in boar calibre and night vision would be my starting point. Keep us up dated and if you need any help i bet plenty of people will be available
    Jake

Cheers guys - what sort of bait?
    30-06 should do the job.
    Been thinking about night vision - thinking there's two options - night vision spotter + lamp on rifle or, night vision scope but then you have to do your spotting through the scope which isn't the best is it.

Also, presumably it's a heart shot and then what's the craic with the gralloch and meat processing - same sort of deal as deer but butcher as per pig?

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Cheers guys - what sort of bait?
    30-06 should do the job.
    Been thinking about night vision - thinking there's two options - night vision spotter + lamp on rifle or, night vision scope but then you have to do your spotting through the scope which isn't the best is it.
    That live nature cam in Estonia seemed to get a lot of boar last year once they started feeding carrots. this year, they've tried to put them out of reach of boar.
    http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/hirv.html
    Get a spotter AND a NV scope.
    Last edited by JTO; 01-12-2016 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    That live nature cam in Estonia seemed to get a lot of boar last year once they started feed carrots. this year, they've tried to put them out of reach of boar.
    Great link. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J111 View Post
    Also, presumably it's a heart shot and then what's the craic with the gralloch and meat processing - same sort of deal as deer but butcher as per pig?
    Gralloch is much the same I found. A bit of a fiddle getting the oesophagus tied off...quite deep in and shortish throat compared to deer.

But don't do what I did and spend a day with a paint scraper and propane torch scraping the hair off...only to read that evening that everybody advises to skin them.

Mind you, my two were youngsters and we did have lovely crackling!

A retired butcher friend did mine with me delaying him by helping.

Alan

That live nature cam in Estonia seemed to get a lot of boar last year once they started feed carrots. this year, they've tried to put them out of reach of boar.

and look at the antlers on that stag that's feeding at the moment!

Terrific link, thank you.

Doesn't work in Safari on my Mac, but does with either Chrome or Firefox if there are any frustrated Mac users trying.

Alan