Thread: new gun

new gun

as you may be aware from my intro im new to centrefire and have just purchased my first ever rossi break action 223 its the bull barrel version, now firstly does anybody know what the twist rate is on these guns??? secondly how accurate are they? have i gone and bought a lemon?? sorry to ask so much but i am eager to learn and obviously a voice of experiance is always going to be the best way

atb wagne

Its 1in12 twist so should favour lighter rounds, did you not get any information of the seller regarding what it likes and how it shoots?

Wagne.
    1. Why don't you measure the twist?
    http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...al-twist-rate/
    2. The standard recommendation of buying one box of each type of ammunition that is readily available to you applies. Find a quiet safe spot and try the rifle out. Once you reach a conclusion, get a pal who can shoot to try the best two and see if he gets the same results as you.
    Regards
    JCS

thanks

thanks, sadly the seller is very much a rfd for shotguns sohe took it in part exchange so had no info about it?

Quote Originally Posted by wagne View Post
    as you may be aware from my intro im new to centrefire and have just purchased my first ever rossi break action 223 its the bull barrel version, now firstly does anybody know what the twist rate is on these guns??? secondly how accurate are they? have i gone and bought a lemon?? sorry to ask so much but i am eager to learn and obviously a voice of experiance is always going to be the best way

atb wagne
    Hi Wagne

I also have a Rossi .223 with a heavy barrel . I love it , I bought mine second hand with the mod, bi-pod and rings . It's bit of a lump too lug about, but as a fox gun from a pick up it is ideal. I have found it too be very accurate ,as Rooster said it's 1 in 12 twist . The ammo I use is Norma 50 grain V-max and Winchester 55 grain soft points. Although I do tend too pick the Heym out of the cabinet first most of the time these days.

Best Wishes

Philip Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	840.2 KB 
ID:	1791
    Last edited by Philip_P; 08-07-2010 at 21:29. Reason: added detail