Trouble with e-bay item.

Had a similiar problem with a seller who refused to communicate. Actually worked in my favour when I used the e-bay resolution centre, after escalating the claim they just sent me a recorded postage label to return the item and then awarded me the full amount back, including postage when it reached the seller. I'm assuming they then recover the costs direct from the sellers bank account.

FrenchieBoy
Did you particularly want a Curve ?
Or would an 8520 do you, not new, but in great condition, may be locked to vodafone, but really cant remember.
Yours for the postage if it helps.

Neil. :)

Thanks for the very kind offer Neil (Hornet 6) it really is very generous of you. I would have taken you up on the offer but I have just ordered and paid for a brand new Curve 8520 as I wanted new because it was for a present for someone.
To top that off I have also just ordered and paid (£12.80 including 1st Class recorder delivery) for a pre-owned Curve 8900 for myself which is due to arrive on either Monday or Tuesday.

The generosity and kindness of members of The Stalking Directory never ceases to amaze me. It's a shame that there aren't more forums about with members who's hearts are as big yours are guys!

Hope you have better luck than me frenchieboy.

I bought off ebay a car door lock as the girlfriends had gone faulty. Now this was clearly listed as for the LEFT HAND passenger side. When it came it was new as listed but when I came to fit it two weeks later it clearly was not a left but a right hand one. I contacted the seller to be told it was too late (outside the 14 day return period). I wasn't having this so I told Paypal and lodged a complaint.
In the end Paypal told me I couldn't expect a refund until the goods were received by the seller. I asked on the phone about the return postage (£10) to be told that " you can't expect a refund without the goods being sent back!"

The seller was a scammer as he initially offered me a refund ....... minus £10...... which came to the same figure I finally received, due to the return postage cost. Ten quid spent to get nowhere and it wasn't my fault.
Me thinks he'd tried this before and so knew the score!!

Buyer beware!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You have my sympathy eldon, it seems that these "scammers" do crop up every now and then on e-bay just as they do everywhere else. It's such a shame that the odd one or two of these transactions go belly up now and then.
In my case the dispute was started well within the allotted time, the seller was contacted the day I received the item and replied to my initial e-mail the following day so he can't say I did not contact him in time or that he wasn't aware that i was not satisfied and wanted to return the item to him as it did not match the description he had given on the advert - He simply can not use any "time factor" as an excuse to wriggle out of sending a "Returns Label", accepting the item back and paying the required refund.
The e-bay resolution centre have already said that they can see from the photos (supplied by me) that I have a fully justified complaint so it is just a matter of waiting for the 8 days for the seller to respond (Which I doubt he is going to do) and then the complaint to be escalated.
Under the circumstances I am fairly confident I will get my full refund!

After 15 years of ebay buying and selling I've picked up some useful tips.
Many chinese/asian sellers try to hide their origin by claiming that items are sent from uk locations. However if you check feedback before you buy (as everyone should) it will state where the seller is registered. Many chinese/asian have multiple accounts under different names. Most things seem to made or assembled in china these days but if a seller is trying to hide it beware. Also check dispatch and carriage terms, if it states that you won't receive your item for two weeks then it is obviously coming from far away.
Always use paypal as stated afore.
Beware of amazon re-sellers. It's always worth checking to see if you can get new items cheaper from amazon. Ebay will protect re-sellers as I found to my cost once when trying to leave bad feedback. Tbh amazon give much better protection and no quibble returns.
Never leave feedback until you are entirely satisfied with an item as it can be used as a bargaining tool (weapon) against bad sellers.

Ebay has a duty to offer buyers protection but a desire to offer sellers protection as they are the ones giving them their revenue!

You have my sympathy eldon, it seems that these "scammers" do crop up every now and then on e-bay just as they do everywhere else. It's such a shame that the odd one or two of these transactions go belly up now and then.
In my case the dispute was started well within the allotted time, the seller was contacted the day I received the item and replied to my initial e-mail the following day so he can't say I did not contact him in time or that he wasn't aware that i was not satisfied and wanted to return the item to him as it did not match the description he had given on the advert - He simply can not use any "time factor" as an excuse to wriggle out of sending a "Returns Label", accepting the item back and paying the required refund.
The e-bay resolution centre have already said that they can see from the photos (supplied by me) that I have a fully justified complaint so it is just a matter of waiting for the 8 days for the seller to respond (Which I doubt he is going to do) and then the complaint to be escalated.
Under the circumstances I am fairly confident I will get my full refund!

Hi FB I'm sure you will get your money back, I have over the years been in similar situations myself and as you say provided you remain factual and polite the system works.

Out of interest what was the sellers feedback score?

atb WB

Hi FB I'm sure you will get your money back, I have over the years been in similar situations myself and as you say provided you remain factual and polite the system works.

Out of interest what was the sellers feedback score?

atb WB

The seller's feedback score showed 37 positive and just 1 negative which was because the item had been shipped with the wrong case.
(I do tend to have a look at the seller's feedback before buying from e-bay)
As things are at the moment the phone has been sent back with the returns label provided by e-bay's resolutions centre on the 9th December by 24 hour tracked delivery. The seller should get the phone back either today or tomorrow. The resolution centre have told me that when the seller gets the item back I will definitely get a full refund even if e-bay have to pay the refund and then get it back from the seller.
One thing that I have noticed is that the listing has been removed from "My E-Bay" so I can not leave any negative feedback - Much is the pity!

Real pain when this happens....what was his ebay listings rating satisfaction? I would suggest the official ebay complaints route. As stated earlier, they tend to favour the buyer.

The seller's feedback score showed 37 positive and just 1 negative which was because the item had been shipped with the wrong case.
(I do tend to have a look at the seller's feedback before buying from e-bay)
As things are at the moment the phone has been sent back with the returns label provided by e-bay's resolutions centre on the 9th December by 24 hour tracked delivery. The seller should get the phone back either today or tomorrow. The resolution centre have told me that when the seller gets the item back I will definitely get a full refund even if e-bay have to pay the refund and then get it back from the seller.
One thing that I have noticed is that the listing has been removed from "My E-Bay" so I can not leave any negative feedback - Much is the pity!

Under My EBay go to 'purchase history' and scroll all the way to the bottom under 'returns and cancelled orders' you may also try toggling the hidden/not-hidden button.

We have a result at last. The tracking number showed that the seller got the phone back and signed for it yesterday so I called the resolution centre this morning. They told me that now he hes got it back they (E-Bay) will refund the full amount in to my paypal account straight away and then they will get it back from the seller.

Once you started the complaint the money would be frozen in his account, and he could do nothing until this was sorted. Glad you got a result.

Bill

As has been said - Result and now I have the full refund. However I suspect that before long the same phone that I sent back will be re-advertised again!

Back