Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munsterlander

Munsterlander

Any one got any experience of munsterlanders small or large. Thinking of this as my next dog had a gsp for 16 years and when she went got a cocker mainly for rough shooting and picking up but would like to lean towards an all round HPR type next year
    any views or experiences welcome
    i would prefer a small munsterlander but I know there's not that many in the U.K.

Regards Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle f View Post
    Any one got any experience of munsterlanders small or large. Thinking of this as my next dog had a gsp for 16 years and when she went got a cocker mainly for rough shooting and picking up but would like to lean towards an all round HPR type next year
    any views or experiences welcome
    i would prefer a small munsterlander but I know there's not that many in the U.K.

Regards Steve
    I had a serious look at Large Munsterlander's but ended up sticking with GWPs. However, LM are great dogs, incredibly graceful and Guy Wallace wrote highly of them. I did talk to someone at Crufts who said that they used LMs for deer stalking and that they were cracking.

Siggy>

I saw a large munsterlander run in a trial before. It was a nice dog.

I am on my second Large Munster Lander for stalking.

I only have hearing in one ear so their main role for me is to go on point when we are approaching deer giving me the heads up that my ears would have done.

Fantastic dogs in my opinion but i could be a bit biased, i wouldn't swap mine for anything else ,they can be bit of a handful though and maybe not the best dog for a beginner but very intelligent certainly up there with collies if not a bit brighter and better looking than most, mines 7 now but still a bit boisterous ,i was told they calm down about 3-4 years but i'm still waiting but he's very steady in the field but unfortunately he's retiring with me but i suspect he will get called out now and again for sure.

I am on my second Large Munsterlander as well, first was great but i used him more as a birddog, but he was very deer orietated as well, my new one Ghillie wont be 2 until March and as is with Guy Wallace just now (getting him back just before Christmas) and has been since the start of the grouse season, i stalked with him after he was a year old and have had a mate shoot red and roe for him with me concentrating on the dog and he is coming on well but still young, they do take a while to mature.
    He has been a handful (read 'effing Hooligan) as a youngster but am confident once he starts working in ernest he will calm down as my last one was most content when working hard and as already said are very intelligent dogs and need to be kept occupied. This one lives for hunting
    The fact that you have GSP'S before will definatly help

Also have a mate in Sweden who has a Small Munster, it also took about 3 years to mature but is a very good tracking dog now

Moose

Thanks guys for the input. Will look more closely at getting one for next year I think
    regards Steve

I know 2 people with LMs - one is a beautiful dog with an excellent temperament, while the other could be, but needs reining in. In other words, they need the right owner.
    Last edited by Paddy_SP; 01-01-2017 at 22:36.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160821-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	77748 I would go for the Large munsterlander, they do take longer to get retrieving well, but they are great on point and work very well.

I know a lady that will be importing some puppies from Germany later in the year, if you want just drop me a line and I can put you in touch.

I only have seen 2 LM.
    A stalker i know has one and vow's never to have another german dog again!! He hates his.

The other i trained with a few times, had to resort to a prong collar (gruesome things) to even try to get it to walk to heel (and that was with a very good pro trainer), used to pull its slight lady owner about so mch she had back problems.
    A great looking strong dog thou

They might not be a fair/good representatin of breed, but i'd say like most of the HPR breeds can be massive difference between individual dogs, with the good being great and the bad being truely terrible.
    The fact u've had a gsp should help u a lot thou