HELP: Rifle sold. What do I do with ammo?

I. Farticus

Ladies and Gentlemen of the SD Collective - sounds like Confession Time with Simon Mayo...

My .308 goes tomorrow, but I have 45 rounds of ammo - 165gr SST reloaded in Nosler brass by HPS-TR for me, in case you're remotely interested - and don't know what, if anything, needs doing with them legally.

Will I shortly be illegally holding ammo as I won't have a rifle in that calibre?

Should I:
1. Give them to my RFD to pull the bullets and dispose of everything, but giving me the brass back - job done?

Or

2. (Favoured option) just give them to a mate to whack off at the range?

Cheers
iain

On the day you sell your rifle what will your licence say....yep.... it will still say that you can possess the ammo...don't panic. You have (as far as I'm aware) until the point at which you no longer have it listed as a caliber to possess (I.e the point you either do a variation or your renewal comes up).

only holding them illegally if the slot for the 30 cal ammo is taken away

assume that wont happen until the variation is complete

advertise them on here, sure someone will want them
even to just pull the components

As Ed has stated until your ticket gos in for a variation and the .30 cal slot swapped for something else your are perfectly legal to hold onto them as your ticket still states .30 cal ammo if that makes sense..

UPDATE: Going with Option 2. Giving to a mate, and we'll chuck them downrange at BSRC shortly.

Bewsher's feedback is the one that I was banking on being correct, and given the time that TVP are taking on variations, I'll be holding these legally for some time!!!!

Variation for a .338 Fed might be heading in soon...

I have .223 ammunition and have yet to buy a .223 rifle. Did the RFD check to see if I owned a .223 rifle when he sold me the ammo? No!

I'll be Jonah. Never pass on reloaded ammunition. As if the new user wrecks his gun, injures himself, injures someone else then YOU are liable. For peace of mind either "destroy" it or surrender it to the police for them to destroy it.

Mates may be mates. But if it does all go wrong can you be sure they, their family or any other third party affected won't sue? Peace of mind outweighs the £ 20 or £ 30 the ammo is worth to anybody. Sorry to be a Jonah on this.

Bottom line is you've no idea if your reloads...safe in your rifle...are safe in someone else's rifle. His may have tighter bore, greater headspace, less freebore so on your reloads bullet starts jammed into the rifling.

Last edited:
I'll be Jonah. Never pass on reloaded ammunition. As if the new user wrecks his gun, injures himself, injures someone else then YOU are liable. For peace of mind either "destroy" it or surrender it to the police for them to destroy it.

Mates may be mates. But if it does all go wrong can you be sure they, their family or any other third party affected won't sue? Peace of mind outweighs the £ 20 or £ 30 the ammo is worth to anybody. Sorry to be a Jonah on this.

Bottom line is you've no idea if your reloads...safe in your rifle...are safe in someone else's rifle. His may have tighter bore, greater headspace, less freebore so on your reloads bullet starts jammed into the rifling.

In case you hadn't recognised the name, the ammo in question is not homeloaded...According to the OP it is reloaded by HPS TR Ltd. So I would imagine that company would have the same liability in place as any other ammunition manufacturer.

HPS will supply in new brass or reload free issue brass from the client...You buy the first batch and take the brass back and they reload it e.g. Though I think they will load to your spec which means that it may be at SAAMI plus COAL. The HPS target rounds I have are all SAAMI COAL.

hps-tr.com

Alan

You are right. I'd read reloaded by HPS-TR and wrongly assumed it was shorthand for a fellow member's log in like ES for enfieldspares or AT, perhaps, for yours, BRIT-H for the now absent Kevin and etc. Thank you for the clarification.

Last edited:
I think the reference to 'Reloaded' ammunition was taken as run of the mill/friends/acquaintances reloads so the warning still stands - but then I'm an 'Old fart from down south' so what do I know ;)

All... To clarify, this is ammo loaded for me by HPS Target Rifles of South Gloucs. Originally owned by John Carmichael who shot for GB, they have a rich and long history of producing stunning ammo. These haven't been chucked together in my shed - it is proper "rocket science", so I let the pros do this for me.

The chum that is getting them is a hunter and target shot, and HPS have loaded his ammo for nearly 10 years now.

Thanks for all the concern, but this isn't factory Hornady :D

All... To clarify, this is ammo loaded for me by HPS Target Rifles of South Gloucs. Originally owned by John Carmichael who shot for GB, they have a rich and long history of producing stunning ammo. These haven't been chucked together in my shed - it is proper "rocket science", so I let the pros do this for me.

The chum that is getting them is a hunter and target shot, and HPS have loaded his ammo for nearly 10 years now.

Thanks for all the concern, but this isn't factory Hornady :D

I'm curious why you got your ammo made by HPS and didn't make it yourself?

Why?

£1 a round and it's not only done properly, but there's no investment in kit and time from my perspective, I have absolutely no interest in building ammo, just shooting it

Looking through your posts it is clear that you are cost conscious with your ammo and you could easily make the same ammo for under 70p. £30+ saved per hundred rounds is certainly interesting to me, but I do shoot quite a lot.
You have often touted the skills of HPS, but they are simply copying the max loads from the Vihtavuori website.
This is most certainly not rocket science.

I agree. If you don’t have the time or wherewithal to do it yourself then use commercial ammunition. There’s precious little you can do about even this if it’s faulty.

There are a lot of custom loading outfits in the U.S, but they’ve got a place as a lot of them deal in the scarcer calibres rather than the standard stuff. I wouldn’t bother with HPS-TR products on principle. I suspect that it’ll be below standard operating pressure for liability reasons. I would also guess that if the customer has supplied used cases as an ingredient then any guarantee of safety (you think is offered?) will be worthless

Back