Thread: Hind Quarters Broken Down - Help needed!

Hind Quarters Broken Down - Help needed!

Hi all,

Even on a larger deer, I keep on messing up which parts of the hind quarter are which (i.e. Top Round, Bottom Round etc). Does anyone have a diagram to help me?

Thanks

Z

Try and find a sheep/ lamb butchery guide on Internet and you will not be far out.
    TonyC

Im sure i saw scott rea break down a rear leg on you tube not sure of the animal but dont think it matters. I tend to seperate each muscle and cut as steaks not really worried about roasting joints
    Jake

There is a break down of a haunch, in the snh best practice guide. Which may be available to view online? I'm sure someone will know

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/u...guides/156.pdf

Once you make a cut along the bone of the haunch you can put knife down & generally "unfold" it along the separate muscle group seams ...use the knife for any awkward or tight bits or if meat is tearing ...
    You should end up with separate muscle groups , then you can steak them cube them or whatever you fancy, once you open there is generally ( on roe anyway) a big lymph node in the near centre you can get access to once you've unfolded the haunch & trim out no problems.

Alternatively you will not go wrong watching Scott Rea Project on YouTube , search his videos and he has at least one on breaking down a deer carcass very efficiently

Hope this helps

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    Im sure i saw scott rea break down a rear leg on you tube not sure of the animal but dont think it matters. I tend to seperate each muscle and cut as steaks not really worried about roasting joints
    Jake
    Very good video. Really helped me this week when I decided to up my cave man butchery skills a few levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Hi all,

Even on a larger deer, I keep on messing up which parts of the hind quarter are which (i.e. Top Round, Bottom Round etc). Does anyone have a diagram to help me?

Thanks

Z
    Mike Robinson's DVD is well worth buying. Also You tune, roe carcass - hunting life I think, In similar vein. I aim to get at least 15 good steaks from a red haunch, but I do take my time.

Thanks for all the help!! I think I figured out which is which. Scot Rea video was excellent and going to get that DVD.

Z