Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderators and zeroing

Moderators and zeroing

I'm hoping to hunt Chamois next year in Europe but know that some countries will not allow mods. I don't get too many opportunities to go to Bisley to zero my rifle but always use the mod. Is there a material difference in zero if the mod is removed. I will try it out next time I'm there but interested to get anyone's thoughts. Thx

Yes, there will most likely be a change in POI. Best to try when you go next time and make a note of different scope settings required. It may not be a huge change though - only about 1" with my .222.

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    I'm hoping to hunt Chamois next year in Europe but know that some countries will not allow mods. I don't get too many opportunities to go to Bisley to zero my rifle but always use the mod. Is there a material difference in zero if the mod is removed. I will try it out next time I'm there but interested to get anyone's thoughts. Thx
    I've tested this with my .243 Sako 75 (22 3/4") & Ase Utra Jet-Z compact (very heavy) in a pipe range. My findings were that with 100g bullets I was getting about 2" difference & with fast, light bullets this increased to about a 6" difference. I imaging that barrel harmonics were coming into play here.

I no longer use the mod except to fire a fouling shot on arrival at the ground & I find I have a rifle that's a pleasure to handle & carry. You may have to concentrate slightly harder on the shot but it should be every bit as accurate.

Not tried the comparison with my 243 but with my 22LR there is a huge difference in poi between mod on and mod off.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I've tested this with my .243 Sako 75 (22 3/4") & Ase Utra Jet-Z compact (very heavy) in a pipe range. My findings were that with 100g bullets I was getting about 2" difference & with fast, light bullets this increased to about a 6" difference. I imaging that barrel harmonics were coming into play here.

I no longer use the mod except to fire a fouling shot on arrival at the ground & I find I have a rifle that's a pleasure to handle & carry. You may have to concentrate slightly harder on the shot but it should be every bit as accurate.
    Wasnt aware there was that much difference. Clearly would need to test it. isn't there a greater kick vs the using the mod, I guess less impact with a 243

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Not tried the comparison with my 243 but with my 22LR there is a huge difference in poi between mod on and mod off.

My last CZ452 changed 6" at 75 yards, mod on/off. Vertical change only. Not tried it with my current one which is shorter barrelled so may be stiffer and change less.

David.

3" higher in my .222 no windage, i have an arrow on the turret and ajust accordingly
    4" higher and 2" right in my 300wm

everything else is naked and mod free

My 270 with a 20 inch barrel has a different POI of 6 inches with the mod off

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    My 270 with a 20 inch barrel
    how are the flames?
    I just worked up a 100gr load in a 22" barrel and it lights up the tunnel range!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    how are the flames?
    I just worked up a 100gr load in a 22" barrel and it lights up the tunnel range!
    no flames 130gr factory fodder.