Sako 591

ruby tuesday

Ive been offered a sako 591 varmit in 243, shes not in the best of condition needs a stock refinish and a tacky butt pad replacement, barrel has been cut 1/2 unf and crowns a bit tatty.Im thinking of a recrown and recut if needed to 18x1 and doing the stock work myself and theres a lot of movement between stock and barrel but it appears to be coming from the action so I guess a bedding job as well, do you think I will need to alloy pillar or can I just bed the recoil lug and the action.I know long term a rebarrel job is probably best but for the minute just want to bring this classic back into use and a winter project.

Just bear in mind that the 243 is a barrel burner. If the rifle has been well used bank on a new barrel when agreeing a price. If you are after a nice Sako 591 in 243 send a Pm to Buchan who has one for sale in good nick (sporter weight barrel)

Just bear in mind that the 243 is a barrel burner. If the rifle has been well used bank on a new barrel when agreeing a price. If you are after a nice Sako 591 in 243 send a Pm to Buchan who has one for sale in good nick (sporter weight barrel)
Barrel burner, since when???

How much are you paying for it ?

I I had a virtually as new sako M591 in 308 and I struggled to sell it I think I got abit £500 at most

mine had aluminium pillers in the stock to the action whether it was from factory or aftermarket fitment I don't know

It's overbore and has a bit of a reputation as a barrel burner

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/overbore-cartridges-defined-by-formula/

Generally about 1500 rounds barrel life compared to 5000 with 308

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/facts-about-barrel-life/

Wouldn't get too excited reading that stuff
yet to see a sporter shot out through use

very very few rifles die through shot count (count alone rather than long strings of hot loads or range use)
many many more die through poor storage and poor cleaning/drying regime

that sako is worth it just for the action alone

if the action is moving in the stock then the screws aren't tight
barrel vs fore-end movement is only relevant if it is happening under firing conditions and touching
if you squeeze the barrel and fore-end of any rifle you can make them touch

bedding the lug is a simple enough job and depending on how tight the lug to action fit will firm things up nicely

My 591 in 243 had well in excess of 3000 through it, and still shot well under the inch. Wish i never sold it, but needs must...

Back