Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17hmr for 204 ruger swap

17hmr for 204 ruger swap

I'm thinking about swapping my 17hmr for a 204 ruger.
    ive got a 22lr for rabbits. 204 would be mostly for crows and geese.
    was thinking a 204 or 223.
    Could you give me a bit more info on the 204.
    Cheers

I did the same. Had a 223 too and used 40grain superperformance in both. Nothing in it really. Maybe a slight reduction in recoil favouring the 204.

I am relatively new to the .204. Had it for a few months. Must say it's a cracking round. Best shot so far is a 357 yard. 1 mildot holdover. Hardly any recoil. Fast and flat with great knock down power. I see no draw backs.

I'd go with .222 or .223 at least then you can shoot roe in Scotland with them I love my .222 best rifle I ever bought
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

thats like selling your spanner to buy a hammer if funds only allow 1 and not both then funds won't like sending 204 ammo imo .if your not shooting many rounds then why not.do some research on twist rates first and check out 204ruger.com great fun cal

It would be of interest if people with long-term experience of both .204 and .223 could pass on judgement/opinion on the likely barrel life of each calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    I shoot both out to ranges that are at the limits of the cartridges abilities. What is stated in the linked post is true: driven at the same speeds, the say 40 grain VM from the 204 will shoot flatter and have less drift than the same wt bullet from the 223. However...

If you are shooting at ranges to 200 - 300 yards on creatures the size you are describing, you can juggle BC's and bullet weights in the 223 and get all the performance you would need. I am shooting a 1:8 twist Ruger American and my 10 shot rapid fire groups at 200 (prone) are under a minute with 69 grain bullets. This with a 2MOA hold over from my 100 yard zero. Two-two-three brass is cheap and plentiful as are the bullets. I have shot this same bullet to over 800 yards with accuracy; a feat I have never been able to duplicate with the 204 40 grain loads. (not a fair comparison, I know...) I really like the 204 but there is much to recommend the 223 (or 5.56 as the case may be) for all around shooting. ~Muir

I have a 1 in 10 twist. My perms are at best 500 yard if I wanted to put out targets. I have to a couple of hundred yards and found it to be very accurate and not affected with wind as my ballistic apps have made out.
    I like the low recoil and to see the strike. Not saying you can't with the .223. I would like the luxury of many rifles in the cabinet. .22lr 17hmr 25. Fac air and the .204 is as much as I need.
    I have done some reading up as you do but not really found much on barrel life of the 204. I suppose a few factors need to be taken into consideration which would dertermin that. So looking forward the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknsilver View Post
    I have a 1 in 10 twist. My perms are at best 500 yard if I wanted to put out targets. I have to a couple of hundred yards and found it to be very accurate and not affected with wind as my ballistic apps have made out.
    I like the low recoil and to see the strike. Not saying you can't with the .223. I would like the luxury of many rifles in the cabinet. .22lr 17hmr 25. Fac air and the .204 is as much as I need.
    I have done some reading up as you do but not really found much on barrel life of the 204. I suppose a few factors need to be taken into consideration which would dertermin that. So looking forward the thread.
    Recoil is really not a consideration when comparing the two unless you have absolutely identical rifles. I get no recoil from either in the sense that I can see the bullet strikes. (very important while shooting prairiedogs) We shoot varmints in areas were you can see and shoot for a mile and better if you have the gear. Prairiedogs are usually a 500 yard affair. I liked the 204's ability on the sod-rats so much i gave it to my girlfriend so that her guess work would be minimized and I took up the .223.~Muir