Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wasted an hour of my remaining life again

Just wasted an hour of my remaining life again

I had to do the ESTA internet runaround for me and my missus to be able visit the USA across the Xmas period and it cost me 28 USD.
    Why do we not expect the same runaround in return from US citizens to come to the UK as a visa waiver agreement nation? Or do we? and I do not know about it.

Nope - they just have to fill in a landing card and good to go...

P's me off every time I go to the states that I have to pay for the privilege - especially as I am married to one!

Still, could be worse - a mate of mine is married to a south african and she has to pay huge visa sums to go anywhere.

The US doesn't really do international treaties and stuff.

David.

SD Regular
    Same as the UK-US Extradition Treaty. Their citizens can't be sent here unless a higher burden of proof is shown than applies to our Brit citizens being sent there.

The USA never gives quid-pro-quo in treaties it always sets its own benefits better than the other party's. And do the likes of idiot Boris Johnson think any trade deal with the USA will be any less one sided?

I for one would be willing to pay a 20 fee if it meant I could go through the lines faster! During each of my trips to the UK my one gripe is coming off the plane and watching the rapid process of EU passports while I end up in the line of infinity and when I finally make it to the immigration officer I end up in a 2 year long question and answer period.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    I for one would be willing to pay a 20 fee if it meant I could go through the lines faster! During each of my trips to the UK my one gripe is coming off the plane and watching the rapid process of EU passports while I end up in the line of infinity and when I finally make it to the immigration officer I end up in a 2 year long question and answer period.
    An Esta doesn't get you through any faster. You still have to stand in line for ages and answer stupid questions at glacial speed delivered by the most humourless 'characters' known to any branch of science.

British border police are a delight compared to the TSA officers I have encountered... that is a pretty low bar though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    Well Cootmeurer has cleared that one up, it seems the hoops are the same going both ways. I remember so well when it was thump (passport stamp) and a welcome to the USA greeting only a 2 minute procedure, happy days.

SD Regular
    Came back to UK last year via Gare du Nord with Australian clients 27 April. They also got the UK Border Force..aka (then) Theresa May's clotheads...fifteen minute third degree.

I verbally observed to them after...deliberately well in earshot..."And there you are. Anzac Day last week, a hundred years since Gallipoli. And today you get this. Lest We Forget? The British Home Office should be ashamed of itself."

Well at least you were not scammed like I was but after much hassle Halifax refunded the extortiant fee.

D

Well at least for two days I will be lodged directly adjacent to the Cabellas outlet in Reno Nevada but it will be on the 24th & 25th December so they must be closed for one of those days.
    I need no more new stuff at 66 years of age really it is time to reduce the hunting cupboard, not increase it, but who knows what I might find.