Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humerus fracture: How long til you can shoot again?

Humerus fracture: How long til you can shoot again?

Hello,
    I am wondering whether anyone has had a complex humerus fracture involving the head of the bone where the ligaments are attached? If so, how long did it take you to get back out stalking and shooting? Doctors these days are clueless when it comes to firearms, asking them for advice is hopeless.
    Thanks for your help.
    375win

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Hello,
    I am wondering whether anyone has had a complex humerus fracture involving the head of the bone where the ligaments are attached? If so, how long did it take you to get back out stalking and shooting? Doctors these days are clueless when it comes to firearms, asking them for advice is hopeless.
    Thanks for your help.
    375win

Cant quite tell you about the Humerus but I had a Tib/ Fib Spiral fracture which sounds similar to the complex you describe. It took 12 months before I could walk properly on it again so I would imagine that you will likely face up to 12 months out if its the arm you shoulder with. If not you may get away with less time. The ligaments will be a really pain as well.

Sorry I'm not the bearer of good news.

I suppose usage approaching normal would occur prior to the area reaching anything like it being as robust as normal and that is the time to be wary. As for shooting, I would also suggest giving it a year in total before firing anything with significant recoil or venturing on terrain that could see you take a tumble. I guess you will be having physio, which would help.

Cheers guys.
    Orthopedic surgeon said this time next year. Thought that was a joke. Physio is good after, hurts a bit at the time.

Also start with something mild. 22 rimfire will make sure you have the movement before you bang it about with something fiercer. Hope it works sooner rather than later.

David.

"Never underestimate the power of the physio." said by...me yesterday. I've just had a lot of it. It helps more than most people would believe possible, as you are finding out. As I found it takes self discipline to do the exercise's at home but its well worth the effort. Rim fire when you are ready, which may well be when you can carry it on the injured side and get into a firing position, bearing in mind the medical advice. Look after it now as a set back is even worse and more time off shooting etc. Very good luck with your recovery.

You will never be able to shoot again Its best you sell all your guns to me cheaply!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 375win View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks for your help.
    375win
    Try asking them how long until you can play tennis or competitive rowing or climbing. Actually, scrub them - say you are a front row - that's the sort of collision that might be similar!
    It does rather depend on your fracture - any pics? If it is just bone, it might be sound in 8-12 weeks. However, if there is any callous, that might affect how the recoil affects you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom270 View Post
    "Never underestimate the power of the physio." said by...me yesterday. I've just had a lot of it. It helps more than most people would believe possible, as you are finding out. As I found it takes self discipline to do the exercise's at home but its well worth the effort. Rim fire when you are ready, which may well be when you can carry it on the injured side and get into a firing position, bearing in mind the medical advice. Look after it now as a set back is even worse and more time off shooting etc. Very good luck with your recovery.
    rimfire before getting behind your 375!

If you're desperate why not shoot off the other shoulder until it heals?