Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes an expert in deer management?

What makes an expert in deer management?

What is expertise in deer management or stalking?

A certain amount of experience obviously, but time spent fruitfully culling a few hundred a year, gaining tickets or watching the years click by as you take out a dozen or so deer a year?

expert opinions only please.....

A lot of years with all the species, in all environments full time, or part time.

There always seems to be plenty in this game who moan about who is and who is not an expert. Every day is a learning day in the field in my opinion, and many never get out in the field enough to learn and yet seem to spend an infinite amount of time on forums bleating about it, some of them banned members on here. You are constantly learning, and getting to know the ground and the deer's movements and habits within your area if you are full time, or have enough spare time to be out several times a week.

If you are a full time stalker, employed or self employed then you are out in the field all the time. So far since the 22nd September I have been home 14 nights!! There are some very good professional stalkers on this site who make a living out of the management and stalking of deer. There are also some very good stalkers who have been stalking many years, and yet are not employed as stalkers, but that does not make them any less an expert. As many stalkers are only recreational (hobby stalkers) and may be get out a limited time per year, maybe on only one species, it stands to reason in my opinion that those who are out in all weathers on all species throughout the year are going to have more experience and knowledge. Especially if you have been doing it for 20 to 40 years.

Guiding clients opens up a whole new world to stalking alone, or with a mate and you are under pressure to get results. We all know that this is not always achievable, and if you think you will grass a deer every time, give up stalking and take up another hobby.

I dare say some may not agree with the above. I don't claim to be an expert, I am however a full time professional stalker with not quite 40 years stalking under my belt, and have stalked and manage all the species in the UK in the wild.

Expert................ X marks the spot and a spurt is a drip under pressure
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Arrogance???????????

The people who really know a lot don't claim to be experts.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    A lot of years with all the species, in all environments full time, or part time.

There always seems to be plenty in this game who moan about who is and who is not an expert. Every day is a learning day in the field in my opinion, and many never get out in the field enough to learn and yet seem to spend an infinite amount of time on forums bleating about it, some of them banned members on here. You are constantly learning, and getting to know the ground and the deer's movements and habits within your area if you are full time, or have enough spare time to be out several times a week.

If you are a full time stalker, employed or self employed then you are out in the field all the time. So far since the 22nd September I have been home 14 nights!! There are some very good professional stalkers on this site who make a living out of the management and stalking of deer. There are also some very good stalkers who have been stalking many years, and yet are not employed as stalkers, but that does not make them any less an expert. As many stalkers are only recreational (hobby stalkers) and may be get out a limited time per year, maybe on only one species, it stands to reason in my opinion that those who are out in all weathers on all species throughout the year are going to have more experience and knowledge. Especially if you have been doing it for 20 to 40 years.

Guiding clients opens up a whole new world to stalking alone, or with a mate and you are under pressure to get results. We all know that this is not always achievable, and if you think you will grass a deer every time, give up stalking and take up another hobby.

I dare say some may not agree with the above. I don't claim to be an expert, I am however a full time professional stalker with not quite 40 years stalking under my belt, and have stalked and manage all the species in the UK in the wild.

+1

I don't claim to be an expert, I am however a full time professional stalker with not quite 40 years stalking under my belt, and have stalked and manage all the species in the UK in the wild.
    This. The only way to become an expert at anything is to do it a lot over a long period of time.

There was an old Chinese (I think it was anyway) mantra that said to become an expert in something you must do it 10,000 times.

So by that logic it's 10,000 outings on each of the 6 species!

But seriously, becoming an expert in deer stalking can only be done by stalking all 6 species over many years.

The irony is that none of the people I've met who HAVE stalked all 6 species for many years claim to be experts, instead saying there is always something new to learn - that's probably why they're experts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun."

Self confessed Schultz and Larsen addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Arrogance???????????

The people who really know a lot don't claim to be experts.

David.
    True, but then it's no more praiseworthy to claim to know nothing when years of experience and study have undoubtedly resulted in a considerable reservoir of information and wisdom. False modesty is not something to be admired.

I agree with almost everything you say...even after the 10,000 hours there is always something new to learn in any field.

Where we differ is that I have heard a better version of the definition of expert..."X" is a has-been, and spurt is drip under pressure...

Alan

Anyone who had dsc 1 is a borderline expert and anyone with level 2 is a deer stalking God ! Bits of paper make experts
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Sorry but don't believe in "Experts". Even after 50+ years and a lot of full time stalking I am often surprised by what happens, even with humans.
    Every day I see and watch deer and every day I learn something new.
    I agree with you Malc, every day is a new learning curve,and thank God for that, otherwise it could become very boring.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

I like to think I know a reasonable amount about the deer I stalk. But then I go out with somebody who does know and realise that I am stumbling about in the dark and haven't got a xxxxing clue.

Absolutely no false modesty there. Happy to sing my praises when I know something.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .