Thread: Peg 41.......... Not this time :D

Peg 41.......... Not this time :D

So back to the same estate as I shot last November, and had a phenomenal day. http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ot-too-long-!)

We met at a beautiful hotel up in the hills, signed in, and picked an envelope for the peg. This time, peg 41, same line as last time, but bottom corner. Well we'll see.

As we waited for breakfast, I became very conscious of being looked at, and people obviously talking about me and it turned out the good luck I had last November was circulating..............

So breakfast finished, we find the truck to take us to the peg, only to find that I'm sharing with the same guy as last time ! We start chatting, and another guy in the truck says, ahrr it was you, I heard about your nine boar, and 45 shots "45", where did that come from, it was 14............ no, no, you had 45 shots ! but I only take 20 rounds with me............ EGO, and reputation out the window

Anyway, we get dropped at peg 41, but I won't bore you with the days events, just to say, that we were then collected, and taken back for lunch LOL.............
    So at lunch, again, a bit of finger pointing, and people coming to the table to ask my Portuguese friends how we'd done, and talk about the last trip, but this time, I'd apparently taken 31 shots we look at each other, and just laughed.

So a combination of "Portuguese whispers", and the rumour mill had increased the number of shots I took by over 3 times, but strangely, the number of boar remained the same

So not so lucky this trip, but maybe next time

Maybe if they listened a bit more round their peg,?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sounds great craic Lateral, I guess par for the course when you had such great luck last time. Heading out to Croatia soon on my first trip, hope I dont have to do 6 trips for my first boar but happy to go along and take what luck comes along
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Maybe if they listened a bit more round their peg,?
    Funny you should say that. On the previous day, the hunter next to me was facing one direction, when 4 Red deer came within 30m of him from behind, he spooked them as he turned round, but they were too close to him for me to have a go. Then, facing where they'd come from, he was oblivious to the dogs going mental behind him, and he was nearly knocked over by a BIG stag as it charged past him

Quote Originally Posted by xbilly View Post
    Sounds great craic Lateral, I guess par for the course when you had such great luck last time. Heading out to Croatia soon on my first trip, hope I dont have to do 6 trips for my first boar but happy to go along and take what luck comes along
    Billy
    Billy,

Fingers crossed you're successful first time out ! Just stay alert, be very quiet, and don't stop scanning around you. Nearly all the boar I've shot have been trying to sneak quietly past, ahead of the dogs. You'll often get deer, and fox coming through ahead of the boar, and keep an eye on the birds, because they'll often tell you when somethings moving through. Peltors are a fantastic aid to hearing what's going on around you, but do make things sound deceptively closer than they are.

Then, when you do see something, forget everything you've been told about shot placement, and good practice, and shoot like you'd shoot a clay, instinctively, making sure not to stop the rifle moving through as you take the shot.

EASY

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    ghed.

So a combination of "Portuguese whispers", and the rumour mill had increased the number of shots I took by over 3 times, but strangely, the number of boar remained the same
    Word had certainly gotten around! The english speaking wife of my 'chauffeur', in whose BMW I travelled to my peg in comfort, repeated the same 45:9 ratio - who was I to disabuse her by quoting the correct figures?

Anyhow, the 'long range' pig I shot that day was heard to grunt with it's last breath, "So senhor, just the the one shot, how unusual for an Englishman!" (Just before the hounds piled onto it. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Word had certainly gotten around! The english speaking wife of my 'chauffeur', in whose BMW I travelled to my peg in comfort, repeated the same 45:9 ratio - who was I to disabuse her by quoting the correct figures?
    I expect no more, and no less from you. You always meet my expectations

Oh, apart from when YOU actually hit something.................... that's always a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I expect no more, and no less from you. You always meet my expectations

Oh, apart from when YOU actually hit something.................... that's always a surprise
    Touché!

Certainly was a surprise for this fellow and his (fast but not for long) running mate the previous day!

Attachment 77135

And it wasn't even a right to left shot this time!

You had two cracking Red stags. Shame the bigger one had lost a bit of antler, but still both really 12 pointers.

I just want to get back out, and have another go

Hi,
    when you say share a post, are you both shooting?.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanglier 857 View Post
    Hi,
    when you say share a post, are you both shooting?.

My error, we were sharing transport to the peg, not sharing the peg