Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full wood rifles,anybody use them in the UK for deer hunting?

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Full wood rifles,anybody use them in the UK for deer hunting?

Just wondering if their use is much the same as some of the European countries.I don`t know of any here that shoot deer with them.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Hello John

Stutzen/full-stock no but wood yes.

I started off with a Mannlicher Stutzen (full stock), beautiful double set trigger, the works. It felt like you could have shot clays with it as the handling & balance was so good. It shot brilliantly too, 3/4" groups at 120 yards were the norm with factory Federal. It had a short barrel so the muzzle blast & flash were a bit much at dusk.

Then everything went to hell in a handcart for no obvious reason & to top it off I completely missed a deer at 50 yards so it went off to auction & I bought a Sako 75. I don't think I've even handled a rifle that doesn't have a wooden stock. Not necessarily snobbery, just that the majority of stalkers I see socially or stalk with use wood too, partly as I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist as far as rifles go & don't care for moderators for every day use. A rocker rather than a mod.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 07-12-2016 at 09:35.

Think you will find a few people have them as second rifles for the days you want to carry something special. Few theses days use them as a primary rifle for deer or boar but there are some.
    The use if moderator's has had a part to play and in more populated areas the need to keep the noise down.
    I have one in 270 and 20inch barrel. When it gos off it is like a canon being fired but lovely to handle and carry.

Every rifle i have owned, and liked has been a wood stock, they are also the rifles that have stayed.
    The very worst plastic stock was the blaser I had for a short while, the best plastic was an A-bolt.

I think Pine Marten on here is a bit of a Stutzen fan.

I have a full wood stock 243, which is great for woodland stalking, and my 303 which I only take out on warm sunny days, and I have used it on African plains game too.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    I think Pine Marten on here is a bit of a Stutzen fan.

Indeed I am. Here's my Steyr-Mannlicher Classic in 7mm-08 which works well with the 20" barrel. As you can see, it works just fine on deer. Not just mini-deer either. In two weeks we shall hopefully see what it's like on boar!

IMG_3921 by pinemarten, on Flickr
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

I also started out with a Mannlicher Stutzen in 7x57. It went to a friend. (who still has it and calls it 'old faithful) I still shoot a 'full wood' - now it's 'modern' Daniel Fraser in 7x57, built on a Mannlicher butterknife action. Great rifle to carry, quick to point and perfectly accurate for my needs. Wood stocks are still hard to beat!