Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrome Moly vs Stainless Steel

Chrome Moly vs Stainless Steel

Hi there,

I was just wondering... what the pros and cons are to a Stainless barrel vs a Chrome Moly one. I have just been on the Bartleins website and I see the two options but was wondering what the real world application for either would be? Would Stainless be more of a Hunters setup or could that be used on say a target setup etc etc..?

Thanks in advance for you input.

Louis

I tend to find stainless barrels seem to clean easier / quicker.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks finnbear, that is good to know, and quite a bonus tbh.

I have read that the Stainless does not react well to "Arctic" cold, I am not sure how cold that is or whether that would be a factor to consider in the UK..?

Chrome moly can be blued/parkerised. Stainless cannot.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Chrome moly can be blued/parkerised. Stainless cannot.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Tramp, whats stainless like to take a coat of paint, say duracoat or a cerakote? any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTrigger View Post
    Tramp, whats stainless like to take a coat of paint, say duracoat or a cerakote? any idea?
    No problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    No problem at all.
    Awesome, thanks takbok

Chrome moly is superior in every way from a metallurgical position, Stainless for weather resistance (Corrosion) but here,s the crunch with modern production methods and cost manufacturers do not like chrome molly because it causes problems with tool wear and hard spots that causes problems on production runs from a accuracy point of view their is no difference. Theoretically speaking S/S is easier to hold tighter machine tolerances (not relevant to rifles) Theoretically speaking again the ideal combination would be S/S Action and Chrome moly Barrel. in the real world all S/S for hunting and any other combination that suits your target shooting depending on velocity, bullet diameter, and speed of shooting /volume

Not sure if Chrome molly is better in every way. Barrels tend to fire crack and then there is possibly a bit of high temp corrosion. So, is chrome molly better in both of those areas? Thermal shock behaviour ? One tends to see more stainless barrels on the range or?
    edi