Moderator Deep Clean!

Devon County Shooter

Morning all

Can anyone suggest apart from using a ultra sonic cleaner, a method to deep clean a Wildcat Evolution?

I've stripped the unit down to its bare components and would like to soak them in a chemical fluid of some kind, preferable, one that is safe and won't remove paint or my skin!

Any advice welcome?

Regards

Carl.

Carl,
The moderator internals receive the same stuff as is going up your barrel,eg, carbon, copper and combustion products. Therefore, I further assume that the solvent(s) that you would normally use to clean your barrel would suffice to clean your moderator along with a toothbrush and a tin of best elbow grease.
When using solvents it is wise to wear suitable gloves and safety spectacles. Ensure that your workspace is well ventilated.
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Kroil

I use a self refill spray atomiser and spray the above in the mod, spin the mod to get a coating over as much of it as I can, and then leave to soak. a couple of days later I then blow air through the mod with a compressor to clear out the oil and debris.

job done.

bob.

ps: this is on all my mods with the exception of the 17 hmr, I just light the end and watch it clean its self. :)

Do not put it in a sonic cleaner if its got any anodizing on it it will strip it,carb or brake cleaner should do it ,bore foam and plug ends?;)

Don't use IPA (isopropyl alchohol) on anodised parts. In my experience hard black anodising gets a chalky white bloom. Not sure what will happen to coloured anodising. I think IPA is used in brake cleaner too!

I ruined a wildcat mod by ultrasonic cleaning it fairly regularly. The new one isn't going anywhere near the cleaner.

I'm just following the soapy water instructions now but, if I decide it needs more, I think I'll probably give all but the painted tube and 'o' rings a soak in a tub filled with petrol for a few days before scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Followed by the usual soapy water and leave to dry.

Back