Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poaching in Mid Devon

Poaching in Mid Devon

Just been informed by a friend that a herd of around 100 reds have 'gone missing' round Witheridge way in the last week or so, suspected night shot. Can anyone confirm this or heard similar? He's not a stalker, so may have got the wrong end of the stick, but he's not a stirrer either. If true, likely to impact on my own stalking out that way. PMs if more appropriate.

Not heard of that Tamar, but a hundred reds would take a bit of shifting!

On the other hand did you see the report on last nights West of England news about the group of men from Ashburton and area done for poaching with dogs with explicit footage taken from their phones of badgers, foxes and deer being taken with longdogs? The ringleader got 8 months another got four months with costs amounting I think amounting to 14000. These people have been working the area for years and avoiding being caught by basically threatening retribution on anyone who reported them. Thanks to a local stalker and his son who literally put himself in harms way by apprehending them they got their just desserts.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Not heard of that Tamar, but a hundred reds would take a bit of shifting!

On the other hand did you see the report on last nights West of England news about the group of men from Ashburton and area done for poaching with dogs with explicit footage taken from their phones of badgers, foxes and deer being taken with longdogs? The ringleader got 8 months another got four months with costs amounting I think amounting to 14000. These people have been working the area for years and avoiding being caught by basically threatening retribution on anyone who reported them. Thanks to a local stalker and his son who literally put himself in harms way by apprehending them they got their just desserts.
    I thought those numbers were pretty high too, but Christmas is coming

I missed the news report, but good on those stalkers and D&C police for nailing that gang.

As said, that is a lot of deer to shoot and dispose of, and hard work!

I think a lot of things are going on in the hours of darkness with the technology available these days, it used to be a dead giveaway in the past when you could see it being carried out and act, i'm talking of lamping, but with all the thermal/night vision kit how do we know what's going on?
    Poor deer don't stand a chance.
    I can't even put up a trail camera these days for fear of it being stolen as the above technology can 'see' my camera.

For those interested, here is the report of the 'dog poachers' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-38211568

just read the web site about the poachers the sentences dont fit the crime the laws a ass whats to say they wont do it again

Cant see anybody shifting that many carcasses despite it being chrimbo..

Its rife as always here in Poole.

The guys head out shooting them from the shoreline and picking them up in flat bottomed Poole Canoes. They then leave the skins on the shore next to the launch at Little Beach in Hamworthy which is directly opposite Arne so not even worried about hiding their tracks.

The road going down to little beach is a dead end. On a nite it resembles the M1 at times as is also favoured by the marching powder brigade moving their gear ashore.

Would be a lovely spot for the residents who have paid between .5 and 2m for their properties if the Police put a few cameras up addressing the issues..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I've heard that there's a 'farm shop' in the Yetminster area that is being fitted out to process rustled and poached animals, by a traveler family based in Somerset.

Those sentences are disgusting, the vast majority being suspended. A slap on the wrist for such a crime is no deterrent to these idiots.

Not condoning poaching, but 100 deer allegedly disappear, we always here the same stories around Christmas as if the price has suddenly gone up ? How many people actually eat venison more at this time of year ?.
    JTO if you have proof of this farm shop inform your local Trading standards.

Venison for Christmas is becoming more popular over here. Aldi do seasonal festive roasts and certainly I get inundated at this time of year with people asking for venison, if not for Christmas day, then for some other meal over the holiday. No figures, no evidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone could shift that amount of meat at this time.

Still no clearer on the facts. I'm out tomorrow so will ask around a bit more. Thanks for the various PMs.