.22 hornet and a photon xt advice

danban

Hi all I have been thinking about a variation for a .22 hornet for fox and long range rabbits/ hare.
When my dad was a gamekeeper the neighbouring keeper had a hornet and it was plenty for the foxing as they use to do their foxing together my dad only had a .22lr & we shot plenty with that.
I think a hornet with a photon could be a good round. What do you guys think?
Regards Dan

Makes sense, though a .17Hornet is flatter shooting, so accurate range estimation less crucial (not easy through NV scope). Enough oomph for fox at NV ranges.

Not a hornet butility I do have a 6.5x50 Photon and for me the image quality is limited to 150m or so at night so I'd only lyrics need a rifle capable of clean kills at that range, which I'm sure the Hornet is capable of and it's a cheap enough calibre rifle to work nicely.

Hi Dan,

The .22 Hornet is a great choice and is very versatile. I do most of my shooting with one.

If you reload then you can open up some possibilities. I have one load with a 35 Grain V Max for Foxes and another load using 45 grain round nose H&N plated bullets for Rabbits (but they are just as useful for foxes if I happen to have them in the gun at the time). Both loads are within 10mm vertical POI of each other at 100 yards. The 45 grain loads work out 1p each more expensive than an Eley .22 Subsonic.

The CZ or Weihrauch rifles have the strongest actions.

Stick a XT6.5x50 on it with one of out B20 illuminators and you'll have a package that will give you a decent image further than you can shoot.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive
How much are your B20 illuminators? I think that my photon could be better i use a tracer ir at the moment.

i had a look through a 6.5 photon a couple of nights ago for the first time and the first thing i thought of was it would go very nice with my .22 hornet it had a pulsar x850 iluminator on it and you would have been able to shot a fox out to 150 yards quite hapilly which is a good range for the hornet as you wont need to give it any hold over out to this range with a 100 yard zero

Clive

My Traser LEDray works really well, but there is a dark line in the centre of the beam; and horizontal lines either side. How will your B20 compare?
Do you offer the pill only, as an upgrade option?

Hammo

Hi danban,

They are £42 http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/black-sun-b20-ir-illuminator-c2x17313859

We manufacture the Black Sun pills from scratch completely in-house here in the UK so the quality, output and longevity is absolutely 100%. :thumb:

Cheers

Clive

Clive

My Traser LEDray works really well, but there is a dark line in the centre of the beam; and horizontal lines either side. How will your B20 compare?
Do you offer the pill only, as an upgrade option?

Hammo

Hi Hammo,

If you have the 400m LEDRay then the B20 will knock it into a cocked hat. The B20 is far more powerful and doesn't have dark patches in the beam.

We don't do any upgrade pills for the Tracer series unfortunately.

Cheers

Clive

Hi Hammo,

If you have the 400m LEDRay then the B20 will knock it into a cocked hat. The B20 is far more powerful and doesn't have dark patches in the beam.

We don't do any upgrade pills for the Tracer series unfortunately.

Cheers

Clive

Clive

Just ordered one from you, I hope you can get it posted out ASAP.

Andy

I have been out three times now with the Blacksun B20 from Clive Ward, REALLY impressed, sold my Ledray 400 after the first trip out, this blows it into the weeds!

Hammo

I have been out three times now with the Blacksun B20 from Clive Ward, REALLY impressed, sold my Ledray 400 after the first trip out, this blows it into the weeds!

Hammo

I'm running one of Clive's B671s with a WDV 700 on hornet or 0.223, its shootable out to 350+ yards in good conditions, if you're shooting out to 150 yards the hornet is a great calibre with NV aft that the flatter 0.223 comes in to play for me.

Back