Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 222

Getting my foxing rifle sorted this weekend, its a cz 222 remington,what would you guys recommend,regarding factory ammo?
    make,weight etc,I know it depends on what the rifle,likes or not put I need a starting point,
    Thank you..

40gr Sako or RWS Factory ammo if it works in your gun

Do PPU do 222? If so give it a try as it is very reasonable.

I find PPU is as good as any and half the price in my Remmy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Do PPU do 222? If so give it a try as it is very reasonable.

Yes PPU do .222 50grn i use them and and cant complain about them in my CZ

I've shot 14 foxes with PPU 50 grain factory ammunition from my .222 in the last 3 months. 3 ran 50 to 80 yards before expiring, another is still running. All were broadside chest shots at 40 to 85 yards.
    They're not expanding well enough and I won't be buying any more.

40 grain Norma. Good in my cz.

I picked up a beautiful Weihrauch in 222 recently and it came with a box of PPU and Winchester, both 50 grain. The PPU grouped terribly while the Winchester were 0.8 inch. The Winchester were 20 something while the PPU were 12 so would have loved the PPU to be better. I've gone down the home loading route instead as I want the accuracy and reliability I get from home loads.

Personally I reload(PPU brass) & find Sierra 40gr Blitzkings my favourite.Having said that I bought PPU 50gr SP to use & keep brass:they shot just under 1 MOA through my CZ527 and did the business on foxes OK for me! If I didn't like reloading,although I get tighter grouping from my reloads,they are cheap & effective if your rifle likes them.

I run my 222 ( the new barrel) in on PPU. Then tried five different rounds, PPU, sako, Winchester, Norma and Hornady xxx, for grouping and accuracy, the Hornady shoot clover leaf at a 100, all different weight heads, best of the lot 40 grn Hornady xxx SP from accuracy through to effect, good entry and exit no runners on H&L shots

A lovely round, I'm not bothering to rake a home load up, the rifle absolutely loves the xxx, shoots flat from 70 out to 170 + 2" at 200 just to make sure, Foxes just fall over

good luck with the 222. It's a cracking mid range round