Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Carrier/Holder?

Bolt Carrier/Holder?

Can anyone recommend a decent leather bolt holder/carrier that isn't too pricey?! A sock is doing the business at the moment! Are most universal i.e suit left and right handed bolts?

Thanks

Look up oldstaff on eBay. I got one a few weeks ago from them, only 17.50 and I was very pleased with it. You can even get an engraving on the leather for no extra charge.

John
    Last edited by purdeydog; 09-07-2010 at 06:35.

TASR12:- got a"radar" bolt holster from local rfd gun shop aprox 14 good quality italian leather 4mm thick callie, yes they are ambidexterous-atb callie

I would not advise on a bolt carrier as the bolt should be in your rifle as one day you will arrive at your favourite spot without the bolt and the carrier...
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 09-07-2010 at 11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I would not advise on a bolt carrier as the bolt should be in your rifle as one day you will arrive at your favourite spot withot the bolt and the carrier...
    In one way I agree with Red-Dot as it is much easier to lose or misplace a bolt outside of the rifle.

Also the bolt can become de-cocked which can, depending on the type and the individuals grip strength, be very difficult to re-cock.

Having said that, I do use a bolt pouch when I go on long trips and need to leave the car in services etc and use one made by Baron and purchased from Scott Country. I am very pleased with it.

One last point, please don't wear it on the hip like a six gun as this looks a bit ridiculous!

JC

They are just an invention that is trying to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet? (no need).

Quote Originally Posted by TASR12 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a decent leather bolt holder/carrier that isn't too pricey?! A sock is doing the business at the moment! Are most universal i.e suit left and right handed bolts?

Thanks
    I have one I bought about 5 years ago, still unused, yours for 10 posted if you still want one?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    They are just an invention that is trying to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet? (no need).
    As JC275 said above, it's the security aspect more than anything. If you have to leave the rifle unattended for short periods such as at petrol stations etc then it's a convenient way to protect the bolt.

If the worst happens and your rifle is stolen with the bolt still in then arguably you have not taken all 'reasonable' precautions.

I believe that the recommended course of action, if you have to leave the rifle, is to take your FAC, ammo and bolt with you.

Alex

It suspect that the usefulness or otherwise of a bolt-holster depends on how you travel with your rifles. I suppose if you only ever drive directly from home to your ground and back without ever leaving the rifle unattended in the vehicle then a bolt holster would not be the slightest use.

I, on the other hand, often break journeys to bits of shooting, often stopping overnight. If I'm away to the Highlands, I generally stay in a hotel.

Under my circumstances, what better or more convenient security measure could there be than to have the rifle-bolt with me while the rifle is secure in car or hotel bedroom?
    And what better way to have a rifle-bolt with you than hanging from your belt, unobtrusive under your jacket, in a bolt-holster?

If you want a nicely made holster that slips into a pocket and encloses 100% of the bolt try
    http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=741.

Why do the other not enclose the whole bolt?