Bolt Carrier/Holder?

TASR12

Can anyone recommend a decent leather bolt holder/carrier that isn't too pricey?! A sock is doing the business at the moment! Are most universal i.e suit left and right handed bolts?

Thanks

Look up oldstaff on eBay. I got one a few weeks ago from them, only £17.50 and I was very pleased with it. You can even get an engraving on the leather for no extra charge.

John

Last edited:
TASR12:- got a"radar" bolt holster from local rfd gun shop aprox £14 good quality italian leather 4mm thick callie, yes they are ambidexterous-atb callie

I would not advise on a bolt carrier as the bolt should be in your rifle as one day you will arrive at your favourite spot without the bolt and the carrier...

Last edited:
I would not advise on a bolt carrier as the bolt should be in your rifle as one day you will arrive at your favourite spot withot the bolt and the carrier...

In one way I agree with Red-Dot as it is much easier to lose or misplace a bolt outside of the rifle.

Also the bolt can become de-cocked which can, depending on the type and the individuals grip strength, be very difficult to re-cock.

Having said that, I do use a bolt pouch when I go on long trips and need to leave the car in services etc and use one made by Baron and purchased from Scott Country. I am very pleased with it.

One last point, please don't wear it on the hip like a six gun as this looks a bit ridiculous!

JC

They are just an invention that is trying to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet? (no need).

Can anyone recommend a decent leather bolt holder/carrier that isn't too pricey?! A sock is doing the business at the moment! Are most universal i.e suit left and right handed bolts?

Thanks

I have one I bought about 5 years ago, still unused, yours for £10 posted if you still want one?

They are just an invention that is trying to answer a question that hasn't been asked yet? (no need).

As JC275 said above, it's the security aspect more than anything. If you have to leave the rifle unattended for short periods such as at petrol stations etc then it's a convenient way to protect the bolt.

If the worst happens and your rifle is stolen with the bolt still in then arguably you have not taken all 'reasonable' precautions.

I believe that the recommended course of action, if you have to leave the rifle, is to take your FAC, ammo and bolt with you.

Alex

It suspect that the usefulness or otherwise of a bolt-holster depends on how you travel with your rifles. I suppose if you only ever drive directly from home to your ground and back without ever leaving the rifle unattended in the vehicle then a bolt holster would not be the slightest use.

I, on the other hand, often break journeys to bits of shooting, often stopping overnight. If I'm away to the Highlands, I generally stay in a hotel.

Under my circumstances, what better or more convenient security measure could there be than to have the rifle-bolt with me while the rifle is secure in car or hotel bedroom?
And what better way to have a rifle-bolt with you than hanging from your belt, unobtrusive under your jacket, in a bolt-holster?

When finished with a sporting rifle in it's proper role, (being fired / used) in the UK, the correct place for a rifles bolt, is under lock & key, or on your person.

Hmmm I remember a certain FEO getting all outta shape because all my rifles had the bolts in. he wanted them all stored seperate even though the rules and law does not require this. My response was to point out hat as I had several rifles of the same type the risk of mixing up a bolt and putting the wrong one in was not worth it. The chances of having correct head space with the bolt forma nother rilfe is slim .......................................... to none. Now with careful management it shouldn't happen but why add an unneeded risk. if someone is THAT determined to get you guns they will probably do so. As I also pointed out to him how much did the Knightsbridge Vaults security cost? they still got passed it. I tried a bolt holster once at the insistance of a club on a certain range and yep you guessed someone bumped into me knocked the bolt holster and uncocked the bolt. It was the very devil to get it re-cocked. I got shot of the holster very quickly and have had no problems ever since. Traveling a further distance than can be safely managed to return home for the night is a different matter and the bolt then gets wrapped in suitable cloth and placed in a metal box with the ammo. one I used for the aircraft travel. My one trip to Scotland for some shooting the cottage had a fitted gun cabinet so the rifle was secured in that upon arrival until required.

I have enough problems with the Plods making up rules as they go along so I don't need any others thank you. Oh as to issuing varitaions while you retaing your FAC so you can carry one her response was:-

No I will not allow anyone to retain their licence while i issue a varied one as that would mean TWO licences being valid at the same time. I will not allow that under any circumstances.

That's what we have to deal with here.

Last edited:
...the cottage had a fitted gin cabinet...

How thoughtful of the owners to consider the pre-prandial refreshment needs of Sassenach guests. I hope it was well-stocked!

The bolt-holster, attached to the belt, is still in my opinion part of practical answer to travelling rifle security.

Putting the bolt in the ammunition-box might serve sometimes, but having it hanging on one's belt it is in my experience less likely to attract attention than when carried off the person in a box with sixty rounds.

Hmm as far as I know the only decent use of Gin is to to clean silver.

Thank you for pointing out my error. It's corrected now with credit due given.

Oh I put the box in a day pack so it's not visible !

Hmm as far as I know the only decent use of Gin is to to clean silver.

Thank you for pointing out my error. It's corrected now with credit due given.

Think nothing of it:)

Interestingly, anyone looking at my silver (or my face) would probably come to the conclusion that I believe that the only decent use for silver polish is to mix it with tonic and drink it.

Dalua :- 100 percent in agreement, keeps it nice and clean too. As for forgetting it, bolts and mags in one safe, ammo in another, rifle in cabinet, not forgotten anything yet, having said that there's always a first time for everything and according to Murphy it'll be next time out for me. callie

Thanks to all. It is as you say for the odd occasion when I leave the weapon in the car unattended! That said when I do the sock isn't quite cutting it any more! A member on here has PM'd me and is sending me a spare he had so thanks for all the offers.

Back