Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent..?

Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent..?

Getting that familiar itch... Starting to want a Kimber again, rather badly. I Know I probably should get a Tikka T3 in stead, but.. The goal is the ultimate bad-weather high country rifle.

Startet thinking of 280AI, but has landed on the short action in 7-08 or perhaps the newer 6,5 Creedmoor.

Anyone wha has done som shooting with these rifles and calibers for sheep or similar critters in the high country?

What about practical accuracy in field.. Are they as finicky as rumor has it?

Just had a 7mm08 Kimber Montana action mated to a Shillen 22" barrel and a light weight stock for a mate. We spent a week in Scotland in early October. The rifle shot inside 0.5 MOA at the range, was more than enough for the Stags and was a beauty to carry. I was very jealous by the end of the week.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Which stock did he have? The original grey Montana stock is pretty light?

Ive got a Montana in 7mm-08 it has a 18" barrel. Have shot deer and various plains game with it. It does not like heavier bullets but is really spot on with 120 grain projectiles. Lovely little action and the original stock is stiff and bipod friendly.
    My problem is the thing is right hand now waiting on a left hander.

I had one in .308 Win, lovely rifle and it grouped well but had ongoing problems with misfires which couldn't be resolved so it ended up being returned under warranty. Cost me a lot of money in one way or another, I had my heart set on the Kimber but I wish I had bought a Finnlight to be honest.

Get the Tikka in 7-08. I have a T3 in 7-08 and it's a half MOA deer hammer.
    At least for deer here in Montana....~Muir

I have several hunting partners who use the standard Kimber with French Walnut stock in 7mm-08, and a few in .308 Win, and they love the rifle. The barrel is so slim that you don't gain much in weight savings by cutting it. I would leave it at 22 inches. All the 7mm-08 shooters use 140-gr bullets or Hornady Whitetail ammunition.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    How about a Mauser M 12? Same price range I think and I know which one I would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I have several hunting partners who use the standard Kimber with French Walnut stock in 7mm-08, and a few in .308 Win, and they love the rifle. The barrel is so slim that you don't gain much in weight savings by cutting it. I would leave it at 22 inches. All the 7mm-08 shooters use 140-gr bullets or Hornady Whitetail ammunition.
    have the same gun in 270, a dream to use, a tack driver, but you do get a heat haze after shooting ten goats, one after each other,would I chose a Tikka over it , no way, I even prefer it to the sako carbon light, and I have a choice of any of the above daily and many more daily, we have the kimber hunter in the shop, the colour is horrendous, which is a pity.
    Most guns will out shoot there owner, the best gun to get is one that fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Not here they don't. I hope will do when I get the new Tikka but the Kimber just does not like them.