Access to Centrefire Ranges

I don't know if I will be able to shoot there as you require a Safe Shooting Card or DSC (Hopefully doing DSC1 in March). I don't want a to do the SSC as I believe it involves a cost and regular attendance at a range. Also correct me if I wrong but the SSC is mainly used to allow people to shoot on MoD land and ranges which I already do as I am serving and also a qualified military RCO. Fingers crossed they will let me shoot based on my RCO qual rather than enforcing the SSC rule.

I will call when they are open and may even pop in later in the week on my way home from work.

If they do let shoot I will let you know and may even write a small review on here.

Thanks for the help.

Might as well convert your HM Queen and Sons RCO qual to a civilian one for £35 (National Rifle Association of the UK | NRA | Courses | Range Conducting Officer) and negate the need for a SCC

+1 on Simon,s post Garland,s is basic but works 100 meter tunnel and if £7 an hour isnt affordable dont know what is.Carlton Moor a bit further but £10 come on you guys down sarf are being ripped orf geezer,s .Maybe an opening for a farmer with suitable land to "diversify" there must be a few with a backstopped field or J.C.B to make said backstop ??
If only it were that easy.

This appears to be one case where population density and the north/south divide works in our favour. My nearest is 10 miles away (1,000 hours for £80/year), then the aforementioned MOD range @ Barton Rd, Cambridge M11 (J12 - I think) is 34, but Thetford is twice that distance. The OP only needs a 100 yard range really.

I came across this link that may help:-
Range Reports

Anybody know of one in Oxfordshire? Apparently there's one being built near Silverstone. There's one in Beckley (100m and 50m outdoor) but it's owned by one of the target clubs and not sure they're too keen on letting stalkers etc use it/don't think they allow Centrefire.

I know the chap building it , its a little way of yet. anyone into cars especially bmw or vauxhall tuning with know his other business. Thorny Motorsport

Got fedup asking dauntsey if reopening so haven’t for a while......anybody else asked recently/got any news?

Got fedup asking dauntsey if reopening so haven’t for a while......anybody else asked recently/got any news?

Not heard anything, the business was up for sale recently, apparently just testing the water, but means range may not have been a priority. If you're stuck give me a shout, we still need to get together to do the ward add on comparison

Not heard anything, the business was up for sale recently, apparently just testing the water, but means range may not have been a priority. If you're stuck give me a shout, we still need to get together to do the ward add on comparison

Cheers Scott - just landed back from Cyprus last night after a holiday! Will give you a shout in the week! Interesting up for sale - how did you hear?

[Hi Chasey
There is a private range next door to west kent shooting ground, you can book it by the hour, cheers Geoff

QUOTE=Chasey;1202489]Anything in Kent?

ATB

Chasey[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian,

Can you let me have details of the club please.

Do you know up to what calibre one will be able to use on the range?

Last edited:
The NRA are trying to get control of East Holme MoD range, and plan to spend a lot of money to get it up and running again, but the MoD are dragging their feet, even though they will have some free days for their own use.

What was great to see is that Bisley has just hosted its first Short Range/Heavy Bullet (SRHB) day which has finally allowed rifles over ~5100ft/lb to be used. So people with DG rifles can now use them on the Bisley campus which is a great step forward, and hopefully this will be the pathway to a DG Rifle Club being formed.

Its my fervent hope that Bisley starts to allow long range target rifles to be used as well (EG .338LM) so that we can bolster the numbers of people who are involved in such shooting.

The number of people I've met who have said "I just love recoil" when they're out shooting is almost too many to count, so if there are clubs around which promote such shooting and a growing number of people interested in shooting them (I would certainly be one of them) then I see that only as a good thing.

Its my fervent hope that Bisley starts to allow long range target rifles to be used as well (EG .338LM) so that we can bolster the numbers of people who are involved in such shooting.

For range certification / safety management purposes, Bisley is an integral part of the MoD Pirbright Ranges and it is the MoD that controls the shots (literally) on this one. Given other safety lapses / concerns about using the 338LM on conventional rifle calibre ranges with bullets exiting danger areas that saw MoD institute its HME regime, I'd say there is nil chance of any relaxation here, either nationally or in this location.

Back