Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A first while Foxing

A first while Foxing

Out last night on a fairly local permission where during the day the farmers collie had chased "a sizeable fox" out of a gutter while he was checking his stock.

The farm is only 80 or so acre which is bordered by an industrial estate, housing estate and railway so can be quite tricky for a safe shot depending on which way the wind is coming from, luckily for me it was blowing towards the houses so I parked up at the appropriate gate way and made my way into the wind scanning with the thermal every ten or so yards.

I heard the fox regularly calling from a small block of land across the road so I set out the caller retreated back 70 or so yards and lay down so I wasn't silhouetted on the slight rise, a few blasts of the dog fox maiting call had him steaming in making a right racket covering about 350y in no time at all.

I muted the call again causing him to pause and round hit him squarely in the head but to my suprise when scanning with the thermal again another fox had rushed in from my 4 o'clock not bothered by the shot seconds earlier from the .223 drone pro combo and proceeded to ragg the now dead fox for a good 7-8 minutes I watched with both the thermal and nv and he was going at the deceased fox like something possessed then when he stopped standing over his kill I put a round through his rib cage dropping him like a stone.

After another good scan with the thermal I wa positive nothing else was about so made my way over to the fallen foxes one ontop of the other about 130y out from where the shots were taken, the first fox look to be a year old dog fox in real fine fettle apart from the head shot and fresh ragg marks around its snout and neck and weighed exactly 21lb the second much bigger dog fox doing all the ragging would at a rough guess be at least 4 if not 5 years old with a very aged set of badly worn and broken teeth but was in superb condition weighing nearly 7lb more. An area of about 3yards square was completely flattened and covered in blood where the bigger old fox had taught young pretender who was boss!

It was fascinating to watch and I've seen and heard two live foxes fighting but have never witnessed this until last night and wonder if the younger fox would of stood his ground or fled as the older fox had obviously taken the territory. Would of been great to capture on a MPR for all to see.

Well what an account. Good going graham never seen that down here must be a northern thing mate !!!!!
    everythings strange up there !!!

Uncle f

Not a northern thing, happened to me last year shot what turned out to be a vixen only to have another come into the field 5 mins later and make a bee line for the downed fox. it then ragged it before i shot that one as well. Both vixens.
    I do remember a video being posted somewhere of a fox that had been shot then left in a yard for the farmer to see in the morning being ragged by another in the night caught on CCTV.

Four years ago I was set up watching over a lambing field on the Romney marsh with a photon / doubler on a tripod hooked into a 12 v screen in come walking a big dog fox, squeaked to stop and bingo down it went, two minutes later another smaller dog fox came in and peeeeed all over it and walked in circles slowly around the carcase bingo down it went number 2 in the bag.

feeling quite flush with two in the bag in 5 Minutes a cup of tea out of the flask was in order, as soon as I picked up the flask I see another 40 yds away from the two already down, cursing myself now as I should have cleared them up a bit quicker, after 10 mins, this one I thought to be a vixen purely on size, strolled in and scragged the big dog fox, anyhow I grassed it and to my surprise it was another small dog fox.

3 dog foxes in 25 minutes and not one had a good thing to say about each other.

didnt see another fox all night, it seemed a very tightly controlled area by these three charlies

havent seen this before or after that night

atb

phil

I must say a dog fox weighing 28 lb is a pretty big beast, biggest I have ever shot weighed in at 23lb and we keep a balance in the motor to weigh the odd heavy one.

As to calling we have been out twice this week and not heard a squeak absolutely nothing which is very unusual.In fact foxs were conspicuous by their abscence last night.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    I must say a dog fox weighing 28 lb is a pretty big beast, biggest I have ever shot weighed in at 23lb and we keep a balance in the motor to weigh the odd heavy one.

As to calling we have been out twice this week and not heard a squeak absolutely nothing which is very unusual.In fact foxs were conspicuous by their abscence last night.

D
    We heard several this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    We heard several this evening!
    Been out all week nights, have grassed a few but no calling or pairs, all have been singletons, long gaps between each sighting as well

i guess it's quiet around these here parts

Havent been going out until 8 pm, for minute I'd thought I'd missed em, used the foxpro a couple of times during the week, had a couple come into rodent distress on the caller

phil

[QUOTE=Cyres;1191656]I must say a dog fox weighing 28 lb is a pretty big beast, biggest I have ever shot weighed in at 23lb and we keep a balance in the motor to weigh the odd heavy one.

It was by far the biggest fox I've shot in years, even the "smaller dog" was a big fox even prompting me to lay them side by side for a photo with the mobile. I have a small set of fishing scales in my pocket as I got into weighing every single fox shot but kinda gave up on the idea but kept the scales, he was 27 3/4 lb.

Heard nothing calling the last two outings (fairly windy up here the last two nights) but have accounted for a further 5, 2 dogs 3 vixens.

As for calls at the moment the squirrel distress, chicken distress and fox cub distress seem to be working just fine!

Happy hunter i have just got back from an evening sit in a high seat and shot a dog fox and was curious to how much he weighed and he was 14 lb and to me a reasonable size so your 28lb must have been a monster

I shot one on a golf course in the city centre a few months back
    bloody thing was about 4ft long!
    didnt weigh it but it was definitely sack of spuds worthy