Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spray it, grease it, oil it?

Spray it, grease it, oil it?

Evening Gents,
    always keen to gain experience from those that know.
    Cleaning procedures researched but undecided on best cleaning/lubricating product.
    Historically used Youngs 303 to keep shotguns shiny.
    Any opinions on best stuff for maintaining 22lr, and soon to be purchased centerfires (.243 & .308).
    Many thanks.

Unsurprisingly pretty much all gun cleaning products work well enough and people will recommend many different options as being the best.
    I'd always imagined Youngs 303 was called 303 because it was formulated to clean .303 rifles. I use the same stuff as for shotguns - any of several types including 303 and they all work fine. But be certain to clean out any residual oil in the barrels of your centrefires before each use. It matters!
    Hardly ever clean the .22 (every few years) in a damp climate with no ill effect at all.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I'm thinking of chucking all the expensive "gun oil" and going with 5W-20 Mobil 1. Not kidding.

Just you wait till the Yorkshiremen and Scots start ripping you apart for being so profligate as to use branded engine oil. Anything more than stale two stroke fuel is just pissing money away.

SD Regular
    Young's .303 isn't oil. It is however alkaline whatever it actually is...which is good...but it isn't oil. So don't use it for lubrication. Cleaning, yes, fine, some say non is better. But don't use it for lubrication.

SD Regular
    I have never cleaned the barrel of any .22 Rimfire unless it has gotten wet or unless I've nothing better to do once every five years. With modern non-corrosive ammunition the barrels of .22 Rimfire rifles are best left uncleaned. Truly, really. And just a dry toothbrush around the breech and the boltway to clean out any powder residue. But yes strip, or field strip, IF IT IS EASY TO DO SO every now and again oil the bolt working parts just as you would on any centrefire rifle so as to keep the firing pin moving freely when the rifle is fired.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 09-12-2016 at 23:44.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Profligate, had to look it up. Love it, usually you guys only teach me the naughty words.

.22lr is a very dirty beast. Worst advice I was given was to use grease instead of oil. Works well on centrefire, but gummed up the rifle mid comp.
    The number of posts, like rank is not a measure of intelligence.

Do you want to Clean and long term store? Clean and use ? where , what and how you use and store will dictate what is required more info please and i am sure we can totally confuse you

brush down with lighly oiled toothbruch into nooks and crannies
    wipe down with oily rag
    pull or push through a dry patch through barrel to clear powder residue and or water/rain

that's it
    cant think of a single .22 that requires grease
    if you must use dry lubricants on sliding components