Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There are still some bargains at Gun Auctions.

There are still some bargains at Gun Auctions.

I have just spent two days helping out at Southams Gun Auction, which was held at Bedford.

Two lots caught my eye. They were vintage Sako rifles in absolutely pristine original condition with identical (Weaver?) scopes on top and leather slings.
    These rifles must have been at least forty years old but looked brand new with all original finish.

Lot 988 .223 Vixen went for £290. Lot 998 .243 (can't remember model number) went for £350.

Even considering buyers commission of 15%+vat (so £18 per hundred spent), two people got absolute bargains.

I just don't need any more rifles . Southams catalogue is only £5 and worth it for the read.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I don't understand the auctions. With our licensing system trying to find an open slot then waiting for an auction to provide the right item.......
    is it mostly dealers who buy at these? Or people who have lots and lots of empty slots?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    I don't understand the auctions. With our licensing system trying to find an open slot then waiting for an auction to provide the right item.......
    is it mostly dealers who buy at these? Or people who have lots and lots of empty slots?
    If you have confidence in your good reason, buy, send it to local rfd to hold pending the paperwork and stick in a variation.... or, have an idea what you want, e.g. .308 bolt action, get an empty slot for it and wait for something decent to show up in the auctions.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

DS.308

Not sure that's legal as technically they have no right to sell it if said person doesn't have a variation.

F

It's no different to buying from an RFD and getting it sent to yours. The selling RFD sends it to your RFD, not to you. It's up to your RFD to ensure you have the slot for it.
    Always been my understanding but I'm not an RFD.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Technically the police are trying to get items added to fac remotely
    you buy remotely, send your fac, they enter, they send fac back, then send the item to your rfd who checks it is on your fac and hands it over......

personally i I think it's balls
    rfd To rfd
    entered into books
    transfered onto fac at hand over

No way I am sending my fac anywhere, even less chance of me doing it twice with our current postal system!

Ref buying at auction
    It's authority to possess/acquire not buy

no different to someone commissioning a DG double rifle and getting the variation whilst its being built

holts will also store (for and eye watering fee no doubt!)

I love going to the auctions when time and work allow. I used to go to southams in Thrapston when they used to hold them there. Great fun and always a bargain to be had.

SD Regular
    Not sure that's legal as technically they have no right to sell it if said person doesn't have a variation.
    You are pretty much correct. The test of selling is to who and when does title pass. In an auction it is at the same time as risk passes. That is at the very fall of the hammer.

The only way is to attempt to qualify it by, at the time, stating that title is not intended to pass until the purchaser is in possession of authority to acquire.

But the Firearms Act(s) do not seem to make allowance for purchase at auction of s1 firearms by private individuals.

Purchase of s2 shot guns by private individuals is, of course, different. If you have a valid SGC you automatically have an open authority to acquire without need of a vacant "slot" as by definition current SGCs have unlimited open "slots".
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 10-12-2016 at 20:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Homes View Post
    DS.308

F
    of course its legal, I can have any gun in any caliber sent to my rfd, at no point would it leave an RFd's hands until I had acquired the relevant slot.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post

Two lots caught my eye. They were vintage Sako rifles in absolutely pristine original condition with identical (Weaver?) scopes on top and leather slings.These rifles must have been at least forty years old but looked brand new with all original finish.
    I usually bid online at Southams for other things but noticed these too. This was a non-typical auction with a shop selling-up sale, so lots of RFD’s out hunting for bargains in person & on-line. Prices were up a bit. For my money these two rifles were among the stars of the show. The actions I think were an L461 (.223) and an L579 (.243) each with Weaver Micro-Trac V9-W ‘scopes in original Sako mounts. Quality stuff, possibly late ‘70’s but more likely mid ‘80’s and generally well looked after.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...5-a6bb00c65c52

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...7-a6bb00c65c52

No good for me but a tempting proposition for others with the right variation. These opportunities seem to go to small trader RFD’s who can defray the VAT, trick them up or just sell them on at a profit. Nowadays it seems that if a second-hand rifle isn’t synthetic or screw-cut it will stick a bit, maybe a sign of the times.

The hammer prices are baffling and a constant source of wonder. The outcome appears totally random. At the last sale a flintlock blunderbuss estimated at £1K sold to a single mystery bid of $2,000 (plus 22% fees). This time round a bare T3 Lite fetched an OTT £550 whereas a Parker-Hale .308 only made £50. The occasional stutzen-stocked rifles sell for about £300 so not a bad bargain as a novelty.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...5-a6bb00c65c52

https://www.the-saleroom..com/en-gb/...e-a6bb00c65c52

PS ……
    You need to have a valid authority before bidding. That’s a condition of all auction sales which are for immediate on-the-spot collection by the bidder. Otherwise they can re-offer the Lot, and you are liable for the extra expense of that plus any shortfall between their original estimate and the eventual hammer price.
    Ammo collector & cartridge geek Ö. if I donít have it you donít shoot it.