Thread: Young Fallow

Young Fallow

Hi,

This morning I shot a young fallow doe that weighed 20 kg in the larder (head and legs off). When I shot it, it was all on it's own - would I be right in assuming at it was an orphan or do they wander off from their family groups at this age? It was in very good condition. There were a couple of deer in the general area but nothing within 200 metres either direction.

Cheers,

Siggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Hi,

This morning I shot a young fallow doe that weighed 20 kg in the larder (head and legs off). When I shot it, it was all on it's own - would I be right in assuming at it was an orphan or do they wander off from their family groups at this age? It was in very good condition. There were a couple of deer in the general area but nothing within 200 metres either direction.

Cheers,

Siggy.
    At 20kg larder weight I suspect its a yearling doe or teg. If you still have her head and check the teeth I suspect that the 3rd premolar will have three cusps but will probably be well worn down. Not unusual to see groups of adult, yearling and fawn (under these circumstances the yearning could be referred to as a follower, a term oftern incorrectly used in reference to the fawn) and not unusual to see yearlings on thier own either.

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    At 20kg larder weight I suspect its a yearling doe or teg. If you still have her head and check the teeth I suspect that the 3rd premolar will have three cusps but will probably be well worn down. Not unusual to see groups of adult, yearling and fawn (under these circumstances the yearning could be referred to as a follower, a term oftern incorrectly used in reference to the fawn) and not unusual to see yearlings on thier own either.

Thanks Glyn - I left the head in the wood (after inspection) but I'll have a look next time I'm there - unless this mild weather continues!!

Interestingly I shot it where I completely failed to shoot anything when you were with me as an AW.

Cheers
    MT