Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTA Muntjac found to be pregnant

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

RTA Muntjac found to be pregnant

Interesting, if only for the x-ray:

Rescued Cambridgeshire deer discovered to be pregnant
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

How can they release it legally?

I thought Munties were near enough always pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    How can they release it legally?
    Depending on area, they can be released near to where they were picked up.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I thought Munties were near enough always pregnant?
    Yup

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Can be legally released within a km of where it was rescued from in the Home Counties.
    MS

Is it not a non indigenous pest species the same as squirrels and crayfish. Im not trying to be clever i thought i was right but now confused

Nice one, we are after all rural people
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    Is it not a non indigenous pest species the same as squirrels and crayfish. Im not trying to be clever i thought i was right but now confused
    Broadly speaking yes, which is why there are strict limitations as to where and under what circumstances they can be released. However, they are deer, not vermin, and as such are protected by the deer act.

CONSERVATION LEGISLATION

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. The national Deer Acts cover most of the general provisions contained in WL&CA Section 11 (1) (a-c). However it should be noted that it is illegal to use any live animal as a decoy for the purpose of taking or killing any deer.

Schedule 9. This Schedule makes it generally illegal to release or allow sika or muntjac deer to escape into the wild anywhere in UK. However if a sika or muntjac is taken alive under licence e.g. for tagging or fixing a collar for research purposes, a condition is usually placed on the licence that it shall be immediately released where taken.
    Sika Deer and Hybrids. [Variation of Schedule 9) Order 1999 makes it illegal to release or allow any sika hybrid to escape into the wild.
    Protection of Outer Hebrides, Arran, Islay, Jura and Rum. The same Order makes it illegal to release or allow to escape ANY deer of the genus Cervus or any hybrid of Cervus deer on any of the islands listed. The aim is to set up refuges to safeguard the genetic purity of Scottish red deer from hybridisation with sika or other species.
    Muntjac Deer. Although WL&CA prohibits any release of muntjac into the wild, a licence [valid for 2 years] may be obtained from Natural England (NE) [http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/con...nt-licensing/] under Section 16(4) of the Act allowing wildlife centres to release re-habilitated muntjac back into the wild. NE applies the following policy when adding conditions to any licence issued:
    The deer must have been taken for the purpose of treating an injury sustained by it.
    It must have come from and be released back into the "core area" of England defined as the counties of:
    Bedfordshire Hertfordshire Nottinghamshire
    Berkshire Leicestershire Oxfordshire
    Buckinghamshire Lincolnshire Rutland
    Cambridgeshire
    Essex
    Greater London
    Norfolk
    Northamptonshire
    Suffolk
    Warwickshire
    If it cannot be released where taken, it is preferable the deer is released back not more than 1 km away.
    The Secretary of State [DEFRA] must be informed every 6 months of all details of deer so released during the preceding 6 months on a prescribed form.
    Note: Surprisingly it is NOT a requirement for those releasing deer to have the landowner's permission to do so.
    A similar licence is also required if, for instance, marked muntjac are to be released after a live-capture as part of a research project.