Blaser R8 'Internals'

EMcC

I recently bought a Blaser R8 Success with a very well figured wooden thumbhole stock.
I am having problems getting used to the thumbhole stock but as it cost so much do not want to get rid of it.
As a result I have had made a 'standard' wooden stock to my measurements but now I need the 'internals' to enable me to use the trigger unit.
I have winged off an E Mail to Blaser UK but do not expect a favourable answer as I am sure they will not like the idea of me having a stock made instead of buying one from them. I was quoted for a Blaser standard wooden stock £1700 !
I could take the 'internals' out of my thumbhole stock but don't really want to do that as I may play with it now and again and get used to it eventually.
If the 'internals' can be obtained, I would expect to have to pay a reasonable sum but I am sure the total of it and what I paid for my stock will not to come to the price of one supplied by Blaser.
Can anybody give me any advice as to where I may locate such a thing ?

I'm fairly sure the internals from the thumb hole stock are also different to the standard stock. The trigger units aren't transferable. There are a few aftermarket stocks available but as far as I know all will need the internals transferring from your original stock.

Mac

I think you will find the recoil block and barrel locator is the most expensive part of a Blaser stock. I was reliably informed it makes up around £1,300 of the cost of a stock!!!

My trigger units are inter changeable it is just that the standard trigger does not 'flow' back into the stock of the thumbhole so looks a bit chunky.

The standard triggers are metal, the thumbholes are plastic and shaped to blend into the stock. Standard fits thumbhole, im not sure about the other way

I am sure you could part exchange the wooden thumbhole stock for a new standard wooden stock with out any problems. And not have that much to pay either. That would have been the route I would have favoured.

if you rip out the internals and put them in your hand made stock isn't the accuracy going to suffer?

I thought you can get the internals independent of the rifle, as you can obtain third party aftermarket stocks and rifles, such as finebalistictools from Austria.... I'm just talking to them so will advise

I thought you can get the internals independent of the rifle, as you can obtain third party aftermarket stocks and rifles, such as finebalistictools from Austria.... I'm just talking to them so will advise

Yes you can but as the recoil block and captive bolt system is the part that they have the patent on, Blaser apparently charge a fortune for it!

if you rip out the internals and put them in your hand made stock isn't the accuracy going to suffer?

Do tell. Why should that affect accuracy? The scope to barrel to bolt head relationship is unaffected. That is where I thought the accuracy of the Blaser design comes from.

If the stock is poorly designed so that the recoil is exaggerated it obviously would have an affect on the ability to hit anything. As long as the internals a secured positively to a good stock, hand made or otherwise I don't see where the inaccuracy would be coming from...

Alan

Do tell. Why should that affect accuracy? The scope to barrel to bolt head relationship is unaffected. That is where I thought the accuracy of the Blaser design comes from.

If the stock is poorly designed so that the recoil is exaggerated it obviously would have an affect on the ability to hit anything. As long as the internals a secured positively to a good stock, hand made or otherwise I don't see where the inaccuracy would be coming from...

Alan

because the barrel also has a mounting system built into the stock, and the internals are buried into the existing stock. i don't imagine they will be removed easily.

something will not be lined up right after reassembly which will affect accuracy.

To be fair there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Remove the cap under the pistol grip, undo the bolt holding the metal work into the stock, remove one similar bolt at the front of the action metal work and lift it out... very simple to do and there are so many people offering aftermarket stocks for blaser that if accuracy was an issue I doubt very much would be selling much stock

because the barrel also has a mounting system built into the stock, and the internals are buried into the existing stock. i don't imagine they will be removed easily.

something will not be lined up right after reassembly which will affect accuracy.

If the Blaser barrel is bedded onto the Blaser barrel mount, and the scope and bolt head are hung off the barrel...I do not see what is there that ("will"?) may not be lined up to affect accuracy?

Alan

If the Blaser barrel is bedded onto the Blaser barrel mount, and the scope and bolt head are hung off the barrel...I do not see what is there that ("will"?) may not be lined up to affect accuracy?

Alan

have you looked at a blaser?

how would you line up the slide?

I also would not be surprised if the warranty was nul and void if you altered the rifle.
as I have said, sell the stock and buy another.

Back