CAM Action ?

fendt

Hello All I have been looking for an action called the CAM it is used by Robert Bucknell on his rifles (.223) does anybody know who makes this action or where these can be got? all the best and Thanks.

Thanks Greener Jim for you reply and the information. I have always liked them and saw one in Scotland years ago and it was very accurate, I especially like the short bolt throw 30 degree and the fact you can use AR15 mags.

I sold one on here a while ago that my cousin had,, i seen one for sale this summer at bisley at braidwood, not sure if it was still there or not last visit, it was in very good condition and i did think of buying it..

Last edited:
I have not seen one of them since about 1993, I don't think that there were too many made even then. Interesting to see that they were an early version of the increasingly common ar15 straight pull. Good luck on finding a good one.

I did handle one when they first came out. They were a neat, compact, well made item. Not that much quicker than say an Enfield but with some merit. They sort of looked like a bolt action M1 Carbine but not as wide in the body. My only concern might be that spare parts would now difficult to find. I am not sure but I think they used standard AR15/M16 magazines. Good Luck!

They were only made in modest numbers for a few years. The original idea was to generate sales to cash strapped governments as militia and 2nd tier weapons using some off the shelf M-16 parts. There was a basic model and at least prototypes of a 'HBar' sniper version. In the event, a few were sold to civilian retailers and there were no military or police sales that I ever heard of - not surprising with all the secondhand 7.62mm first generation military semi-autos in the international arms trade by that time, and the USSR handing out 1,000 AKs free for every Soviet adviser and KGB officer that any LDC agreed to take.

At the time, the competition for 'practical' type rifles was Armalon's heavily modified Remington PSS / VS rifles in 308 or 223 and the Parker-Hale 308 entries for the MoD British Army sniper rifle procurement exercise, the M85 and for more general law-enforcement / military sharpshooter use, the M87 in 308 or 300 Win Mag - fine rifles but expensive and not as slick operating as the CAM. The Southern Gun SSR-15 must have appeared not too long after the CAM and straight-pull AR-15s proved to be far more desirable to most potential customers.

the modern straight pull rifles like Blasers ,Strasser and Lynx or the fortner as used in biathlon are far superior to any of the older actions and the newer junk that the tactical lads use just so it can look like a military rifle

I am sure you have seen this but this is all I could find. Sounds to me like you'd only find one secondhand and they aren't at all common.
http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/11954-cam-rifle/

Why do you want one?

I previously owned the CAM rifle in this link,
Its a Milcam in .223 (I made the thumb hole stock for it along the lines of Robert Bucknells').
BMS Trading (Derek Bremner) manufacture the rifle, mine had a border barrel and boy it would shoot!
I sold it as I shoot left handed and needed a lefty, always been a regret.

If you after just the action it may be worth trawling some of the forums/gun shops more associated with target shooting as they more commonly were used for Practical Rifle/Service Rifle.

If you fancy a new CAM rifle I may be able to put you in touch with Derek, PM me.

Thanks Arbshot for your info and the offer of getting in touch with Derek if I don't get one I will be in contact with you. When you say you made the thumb hole stock are you in to molding and such? thanks again.

Thread revival with a rare sight - three CAMs together! Has anyone else, apart from @saddler, got one?

View attachment 253316
I take offence at that. 😉
I've not "got one" I've got TWO = for now anyway, as another is expected shortly. Gender reveal party to be announced in due course!

For reference - top in the photo is the COM CAM carbine - NO.25
Lowest in the photo is POL CAM rifle - NO.84
Middle with the lighter stock is NO.37 (?)
If I'd known there was going to be a formal photo I'd have put the scope on NO.25 for the occasion.

NOTE - the earlier models show more use of Lee Enfield "bits" - even the alloy recoil pad (essential to soak up the recoil from them pokey 5.56 rounds). Also, three guns, three different triggers and three different bolts; and two different maker info engravings.

Other CAM's around?
I know of NO.24/NO.26 (?) being a club gun in deepest darkest Kent.

Watch this space - a CAM accessory or two may be in the works....

My god they are hideous creatures.

Might need to post a picture of my Sako L461 Vixen up to cleanse the eyes! :rofl:
They've got a sort of Warthog appeal....but they are what they are, a military private purchase design marketed at smaller countries with the AR15/M16 series on general issue, who wanted a cheaper Designated Marksman Rifle option which shared the same firing signature as the rest of the issued rifles - and had a high commonality of parts with the AR15/M16 series guns.

I should post pics of my Tikka - a nice wartime 7.62x53R carbine - no doubt with a few good stalks to its credit

Back