Shooting tax

sauer

I know technically in Scotland the new tax isn't a new tax it's a tax break that's been withdrawn ?

But I'm hearing of farmers now not signing guys renewal forms or allowing permission as the farmer being taxed on his ground if shooting taken place

Also being told that even if he does this they are still being taxed !!
Figures quoted are £1 per acre

Now I know all of above hear say and rumour but WHAT is the actual status ?
Can see this tax being passed on even f no money changing hands or for Fermin control

Another SNP ploy to restrict or curtail shooting ?

Thoughts & facts please

Paul

The biggest challenge is that nobody knows. All they are doing is trying to assess what shooting activities are taking place on any land. Even landowners with 5 acres are being assessed. This combined with the uncertainty over any future rural payments / subsidies thanks to Brexit, and that the SNP government is still holding onto £millions for current farm payments means that most landowners are pretty unhappy at the moment.

No decision has been made on how they will calculate rateable value.
No decision has been made on the poundage of any rateable value
No decision has been made on whether there will be any rate relief for small businesses.
No decision has ben made on whether there will be any differentiation between purely sporting shooting and shooting to protect natural assets (i.e. deer control in commercial forestry)

i.e. no one has a clue other that the fact the SNP are using this as a weapon in their class warfare campaign

Ok thank you guys
Thought I'd get more sense and answers here rather than hear say and rumour

Thank you

Paul

No decision has been made on how they will calculate rateable value.
No decision has been made on the poundage of any rateable value
No decision has been made on whether there will be any rate relief for small businesses.
No decision has ben made on whether there will be any differentiation between purely sporting shooting and shooting to protect natural assets (i.e. deer control in commercial forestry)

i.e. no one has a clue other that the fact the SNP are using this as a weapon in their class warfare campaign

Your conclusion is conjecture not fact.
Let's wait and see. :rolleyes:

....and some members of this forum boast about not having to buy hunting licenses Americans are required to purchase? You guys have a real snake pit to cross. I can't imagine being in that situation. I'm sorry to hear it.~Muir

An expensive sport / past time relatively
A slowly dwindling finite amount of land on which to do it
Demand for that land high , ( people / friends have stabbed others in the back to get the permission )
High prices for equipment and supplies in a minority market
Public opinion & uneducated media creating anti hunting generic
And now possibility of higher cost as land taxes may be passed onto the shooter....maybe

Yup it has its advantages as well but it ain't easy

Paul

Its written into our lease (ten years old) that we will have to take the burden of any changes in taxation for sporting rights. Worrying times, we already pay a hefty rent.

Back