Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falconer

Falconer

Hi Chaps

We caught a teenage lad walking across our shoot with a falcon on his arm. When asked he told us who's bird it was, a local falconer we have had issues with before telling people he has permission on our land when he never has.

Does anyone know where we stand legally, he was not on a public footpath, he had no game with him and we have a photo of him

any help would be great

Just sounds like a typical teenager taking his bird for a walk in the countryside....

Hi Warrener, we caught 2 lads on our ground today (1.30pm) with a hawk , we are between bristol and bath they were sent away with a flea in their ear. They have been doing the rounds around here for a couple of weeks on ours and the neighbouring shoots
    B
    Last edited by Bandit; 11-12-2016 at 20:12.

Hopefully the issue can be resolved in an amicable manner and low key.

However if matters took a more serious turn then the offence of daytime poaching is on the statute book. However considerably more evidence would be require to prove an offence. Evidence such as witnessing the bird being flown at game or possession of freshly killed game.

1 hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset.
    Trespassing on any land in daytime or being on land in search or pursuit of game, woodcock, snipe or rabbits.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Caught a old guy with a Goshawk last week "exercising" his bird near one of my flight ponds a couple of weeks ago after a heated discussion he left with a flea in his ear, no need for legals and I was laughing too much at his bird hanging upside down

We are at Bruton so not far from you !

I would imagine that if the individual is on land with no public right of way in possession of a trained raptor then he would be subject in effect to the same laws as if he was walking around with a rifle/shotgun. He has no lawful authority to be there with the hawk.call the police, it is poaching and the fact it is on a Sunday adds to the offence list.

There are unfortunately more of these muppets going about these days and they give the sport of falconry a bad name and only make it more difficult for falconer to gain access to decent hunting ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    `it is poaching and the fact it is on a Sunday adds to the offence list`
    Wouldn`t he have to have dead game on him to prove poaching?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who shoots sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    I would imagine that if the individual is on land with no public right of way in possession of a trained raptor then he would be subject in effect to the same laws as if he was walking around with a rifle/shotgun. He has no lawful authority to be there with the hawk.call the police, it is poaching and the fact it is on a Sunday adds to the offence list.

There are unfortunately more of these muppets going about these days and they give the sport of falconry a bad name and only make it more difficult for falconer to gain access to decent hunting ground.
    It isn't the same. Armed trespass (trespassing in possession of a firearm) is an offence in itself. There is no further proof required.
    The trespasser with a hawk would need more evidence to prove an offence, as outlined in my post #4 above.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.