Thread: Reloading gear posted from USA

Reloading gear posted from USA

I have a college here in Iraq from the USA,
    He said he could post reloading items bought from cabellas etc to me in the UK no problems,

He said all he has to do is buy the items take them out of the packaging and send them as used gifts.

Has anyone else done this before and is it legal.
    Cheers

SD Regular
    I think you answered your own question by asking if it is legal or not. The implied enquiry as to will in avoid duties? Maybe, maybe not, but fish swim in a school to enhance their chances of escaping predators. And, by analogy, at Christmas, the sheer volume of mail often means that things sent that should attract duty often avoid it.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 11-12-2016 at 18:02.

I purchased some components for my Dillon press and asked them could they mark the item as a gift. The guy told me it was illegal and they could loose their export licence if caught, so he refused. So I had to paid duty before customs released the items.

I did contact them again to request some addition parts, which they sent to me FOC. I still got a charged 18.00 duty........

Quote Originally Posted by J o h n View Post
    .....I did contact them again to request some addition parts, which they sent to me FOC. I still got a charged 18.00 duty........
    Because duty is paid on goods and services, which includes shipping costs.
    The number of posts, like rank is not a measure of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by flying felix View Post
    Because duty is paid on goods and services, which includes shipping costs.
    Duty, no. VAT, yes.

People do not realise this when importing goods - you pay vat on both the cost of the item and shipping. This isn't just individuals either - any business that imports pays vat on both too.

SD Regular
    Asked them could they mark the item as a gift
    And, as Mrs George Clooney found out with her engagement ring: that a thing is a gift, even a genuine gift given out of true love and affectiuon, does not stop the UK from levying tax on it if imported into the UK.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 12-12-2016 at 07:15.

I left my 10 year old olympus camera in a hotel in detroit (bought in the UK) the hotel shipped it to me and duty was charged on it again as an import - effing Barstewards.

SD Regular
    Ah, BB, lovely. UK Border Force. The sort of nice people who if in 1940 Britain had fallen to the Nazis would have been the first to accept Hitler's "England Mark" and donned uniform as Auxiliaries to the occupying forces.