Should I go to the dark side?

Sidewinder

Hi All:

I have been tempted lately of throwing in the towel and going dark, under the premise that somehow my life would become easier with a Blaser: modularity, compactness, the same muscle memory for all calibres, ease of use, interchangeable scopes etc. You know the drill. A dark sider is also trying to convince me that this is the way things are going.

But, isn't there beauty and simplicity in Paul Mauser’s design that has been with us for well over a hundred years? What would he think of the Blaser R8 today with all its intricate parts, straight pull and complexity? I shot my first Chinese Water deer this morning with an old Sako (or should I say old faithful) that still shoots accurately after 50 years. Just think of where that rifle has been and how many stories it could tell. And then there is my battle proven Remington 700 and elk scarring Weatherby…enough bloviating! I am confused, or maybe just have nothing else to think about on a Sunday night.

I know this topic may open up a can of worms, but what do you guys think?

-Z

PS: "A member of the pink handbag club" "White Land Rover" "Harkila head to toe"

Well that's part of the problem...I like my green defender and old wool clothing

Last edited:
Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom, a Blaser R8 and the guidance of virtue. - Buddha

Yes, after over 40 years on the planet, I still lack wisdom. :)

for what its worth i used to shoot sako and browning rifles and got on well with them. i made the mistake of handling a blaser r8 at one of the game shows years ago and bought one soon after.

4 years later the only extra thing i have purchased is a 308 and a 375 barrel.

Just think of where that rifle has been and how many stories it could tell.
-Z

This is the bit that I love. Those dents and scrapes on an old wooden stock - where has it been? What has it seen? Who shot what and where and when before it came into my ownership? Was it cherished or neglected? I can only imagine, but life would be hellish dull without imagination.

I was having a good play earlier in the week with both the R93 and R8 success. They handle well, action is very slick but there is just too much polymer for my liking. The cocking slide being moved mastic just doesn't feel right. Looking at the video in another thread on removing the internals I am not sure I would want to spend several thousand pounds on something that needs Ikea Allen keys and a hairdryer to dismantle. If I was spending blazer sort of money and wanted a straight pull I would look at the Heym sr30. If I wanted a switch barrel look at the Mauser M03 or Schultz and Larsen. I might even spend the money on a left hand proper Mauser 98 action and then save up for the barrel and stock.

Almost everyone that posts on this forum with the word blaser thinks R93 or R8. The reality is the K95 and BBF97 are also fantastic models. I have shot almost all my deer with my k95 and foxes with the BBF. I challenge people who think about buying the R8 to try the K95 first.

I thought you were being serious when you said you were thinking of going over to the dark side, the dark side as everyone knows is Black Powder!!!!

Ian.

Hi All:

I have been tempted lately of throwing in the towel and going dark, under the premise that somehow my life would become easier with a Blaser: modularity, compactness, the same muscle memory for all calibres, ease of use, interchangeable scopes etc. You know the drill. A dark sider is also trying to convince me that this is the way things are going.

I know this topic may open up a can of worms, but what do you guys think?

-Z

K95 in 30-06 or 308Win is the ticket. Takes down faster than a shotgun. Doesn't need tools. You can change barrels and scopes. You can shoot one handed.

Almost everyone that posts on this forum with the word blaser thinks R93 or R8. The reality is the K95 and BBF97 are also fantastic models. I have shot almost all my deer with my k95 and foxes with the BBF. I challenge people who think about buying the R8 to try the K95 first.
Nearly went to the k95, but somehow ended up with a kimber, but can see myself getting a k95 one day.

Back