Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS1 Benefits

DCS1 Benefits

As the title says, what are the real benefits of doing this course for myself. I've been shooting C/F for a couple of years (Military experience aside) now and my ticket was opened some months back. One of the things the FLO had wanted to see from me was a DSC1 qualification. I was adamant at the time I wouldn't do the course as I considered it to be yet another money making program. I have no intention of taking paid stalks or joining a syndicate at this moment in time. I only get to shoot Muntjac on my local permissions and have just recently shot a couple of Roe on my neighbouring county permissions.
    I'm okay at breaking down a carcass but do want to undertake the "Trained hunter" course fairly soon, as I supply a couple of places with game when requested (in fur). I also have one eye open on the future and things will only ever get more difficult regarding shooting, so now I'm no longer under any pressure from the FLO office to attain the qual, I wonder if I may as well just do the whole course and at least have a paper qualification which may well be advantageous to myself in the distant future.
    Are there any guys out there who were already stalking/shooting game prior to undertaking the DSC1 and found it to be of real benefit or on the other hand, of little value to them?
    Last edited by Harry Brown; 11-12-2016 at 20:35.

I found it useful, and interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I thought it very useful. The discussions with other people on the course were almost as useful as the course content itself.

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 11-12-2016 at 22:04.

i was a cynic about the dsc1. i only sat it because it seemed to be a prerequisite to get on a syndicate.

i was totally wrong as i found it to be very useful especially the deer id and legal side of things.

I had been shooting for years but felt that a bit more knowledge is a good thing i hummed and awed for twelve months because of the expense,not just course price but i went for it enjoyed every bit of it and ever since i,ve been contemplating doing dsc2 there again (money)stopping that,did i gain anything yes friends,my shooting if anything has got less ,but thats because i made the transition from shooting of all forms and now concentrate on deer stalking which i had never done,like you i needn,t have done it but i,m glad i did.atb doug.
    DONT START

I can't think of any advantage it has given me as a bit of paper.

It has been a great advantage as a concentrated and structured learning opportunity with a good lot of information about deer and stalking.

It was a great basis/overview from which to start learning through doing.

Thoroughly enjoyed it once I got over the terror of being back in a classroom after 40 years and fear of exam failure!

Alan

A thoroughly worthwhile experience that you won't regret, regardless of the value you put on "pieces of paper".

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    A thoroughly worthwhile experience that you won't regret, regardless of the value you put on "pieces of paper".
    But did it give you any real advantage to what you already knew about deer shooting prior to attending the course? I'm sort of in the AN DU RU FOX camp, in that spending money on a course is not my favoured intent TBH. That said, if there are real benefits which help me progress and learn, then I'm certainly interested. Spending money to re affirm what I already know and have read online isn't an attractive thought.

I found it very useful - and there were folks on my course with many years experience who also found the same.

There's always something to learn and the dsc1 course is very educational. I'm very glad I did mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun."

Self confessed Schultz and Larsen addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I can't think of any advantage it has given me as a bit of paper.

It has been a great advantage as a concentrated and structured learning opportunity with a good lot of information about deer and stalking.

It was a great basis/overview from which to start learning through doing.

Thoroughly enjoyed it once I got over the terror of being back in a classroom after 40 years and fear of exam failure!

Alan

+1