Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Stalking in thick fog

Deer Stalking in thick fog

What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worth giving it a go I suppose?

Easy to stalk up to them, not so easy to see if a shot is safe...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by kobidog View Post
    What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worth giving it a go I suppose?
    Personally I would not be going out stalking in thick fog, there are not only major safety issues but also the chance of not being able to take a second shot or follow up if necessary. Just not worth taking risks, a non starter.

atb WB

Well unless you you thermal will you be able to find them? I was out tonight watching a muntie in the woods adjacent to where I shoot. Little xxxxxx didn't come over to my side. But a light mist came down and it certainly brought visibility down. To get a secure safe shot I think I would have had to get in to about 60/80 yards. So if thick fog I would stay in bed. Mind you. I'm not a morning lover.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Do not stalk in thick fog. As others have said there is a real issue with safety as you can not always see your back stop. Not worth the risk.

What are peoples opinions on bothering going out after deer in thick fog? I've heard alot of negatives as deer won't move etc, but planned to go out early tomorrow morning and it's thick fog until 10am!!!! I have never tried stalking in these conditions so have no idea, still worthwa giving it a go I suppose?
    I was in a high seat once, and woman walking with her dog come towards me right in my kill zone. She was walking around the field margin hundreds of yards away from the public right of way.

Even if you can see the deer, can you be 100% sure that you have a safe back stop?

Morning and welcome to the site.....your intro must have slipped in with the fog lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by brunel-999 View Post
    I was in a high seat once, and woman walking with her dog come towards me right in my kill zone. She was walking around the field margin hundreds of yards away from the public right of way.

Even if you can see the deer, can you be 100% sure that you have a safe back stop?
    Attachment 77221Exactly, I was out one morning last week when this came in. I know my ground very well, but no way would I shoot in this..

My very first stalk was with County Deerstalking and we were about to take a shot on a fallow in thickening evening mist when the whole herd started to move, so I paused, only to see a man with his dog emerge from the mist on the treeline opposite us. I had been waiting for a doe to stand on its own. He never even knew we were there, poised on the sticks, pointing a .243 in his general direction. That was the first day I had ever shot a rifle and it could have ended right there....

Your first post should be an introduction not some silliness about stalking in thick fog, its on a par with skydiving with no parachute! You had better provide an introduction and modify your future posts or I shall suspect your motives, you have been warned.

John

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses