Thread: Why do the short straight tubed scopes have a much wider field of view

Why do the short straight tubed scopes have a much wider field of view

I have recently put a 1.25-4x20 S&B on one of my rifles for driven and woodland use. At 1.25 its field of view is 33m at 100m - in practice I can shoot it both eyes open and don't have any restriction compared to normal eyesight. It focuses very close as well - the front site on the end of the barrel is almost in focus. Even when wound up to 4x its still very wide, and wider than my 4-12x50 Swarovski.

Have been looking at the stats on several of the latest 1.5-10 x42 or x50 type scopes. But their field of view, even at lowest settings is quite a bit narrower. Even looking at the S&B Klassic 1.5-6x42 at its lowest is 21.7m at 100m (OK appreciate it zooms down to 1.5 but it is still narrower).

Question is why?

It's down to the focal ratio of the scope (focal length and aperture) - the diameter of the objective has little or no influence on FOV. As a consequence shorter fl scopes, (generally shorter physically as well) have a wider FOV. Whatever the fl is, an increase in magnification will have an inverse effect on FOV.

There are some articles on telescope websites and forums that explain it far better than I can:

http://www.tomheisey.com/astro/scope_formulas.htm#top

http://www.chuckhawks.com/telescope_focal_length.htm
    Last edited by Orion; 12-12-2016 at 19:28.

Very good answer. I have a 10mm camera lens with a very wide field of view and it is heavy but short.

David.

Mostly used for driven shoots, at moving targets. Wider field of vision is easier to use than a narrow one

BTW. If comparing FOV for 'driven' type scopes, have a look at the spec for the Swaro Z6i 1-6x24. At the lowest magnification it offers a FOV at 100m of 42.5m! There is also a specific illuminated 'driven' reticle for it, the CD-I
    Attachment 77235

Which works very well:
    Attachment 77236

suggest you look at Delta range of scopes, huge FOV at 2.5x AND ILLUMINATED CANTRAL RED DOT.

d

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    suggest you look at Delta range of scopes, huge FOV at 2.5x AND ILLUMINATED CANTRAL RED DOT.
    Which model(s) David? I can't see anything too exciting even in their driven hunt models, the best of which I believe is the 1-5.8x24 which gives only 33m FOV @100m.

I have noticed this as well with my 1.25-4x24 and 3-12x50 Swarovski PH scopes. At 3 an4 power the little scope has a wider FOV.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    I have noticed this as well with my 1.25-4x24 and 3-12x50 Swarovski PH scopes. At 3 an4 power the little scope has a wider FOV.
    I must admit to being pretty impressed by the little S&B, and whilst I didn't fire a shot last week whilst sitting in a high seat I had plenty of opportunity to draw a bead on various logs, rocks etc. Even at 1.25 or 2x, given the clarity of the optics I would have been quite happy shooting a pig or deer sized animal at 150 yds. I am going to leave it on the 275 for a little while and see how I get on with it as a stalking rifle on mixed woodland / farmland - on one piece of ground 100 yds is a long shot. I really like the wide field of view, and to be honest it feels very much safer as i can a long away around the target. A higher powered scope does give you a somewhat tunnelled view.