Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, inexpensive, stalking opportunity - red stag

Good, inexpensive, stalking opportunity - red stag

I thought to post this as most probably don't check ebay for stalking but it is a chance to get some excellent stalking at a very reasonable price indeed, the auction has only 20ish hours left to run so you need to be quick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Days-Sta...cAAOSwXeJYHH-7

This is being auctioned for charity (The Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust) and bidding on their other lots (this is a 2nd batch of auction lots) has been "slow" so there might be a chance of getting this at a decent price. I thought it might give someone a big day out at stags that they might not otherwise be able to afford plus all the money raised goes to protect the fisheries in the Hebrides.

I suspect that the reason bidding has been slow is that most people who might know the Fisheries Trust were having an auction are anglers and so will not be too interested in the stalking lots, the top quality fishing lots sold really well, plus the auction hasn't been well publicized beyond the islands and so it is mostly locals who are bidding, a very small pool of people indeed. However there is nothing "dodgy" about the lots and there were a few in the last batch that were, literally, once in a lifetime opportunities and a day on South Uist is certain to be a big day out. I have no connection with the Fisheries Trust other than that I fish in the area, I won one of their previous auctions, and am aware of their work nor do I have any connection with the estate involved and, in fact, have never even been to South Uist.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

That looks fantastic! I mean it's a bit out of the way for me, but the winner should have a great experience.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    That looks fantastic! I mean it's a bit out of the way for me, but the winner should have a great experience.
    Most of the previous batch of lots sold for just about their starting price so, potentially, it is a chance for a South Uist stag for less than 200, I think they normally charge about 540 for a stag. They do charge trophy fees, but it's a simple matter to tell the stalker that you don't want to pay a trophy fee and so only to offer you stags that will incur no extra charge. Even with the travel and a B&B you could get a stag for less than the going rate and with careful organisation you could fit in some salmon, sea trout and brown trout fishing on either South Uist or North Uist. In fact you could build a pretty fantastic week of fishing around your day at stags for a really classic Hebridean week.

Amazing I just put a bid in. See what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Amazing I just put a bid in. See what happens.
    It has to be worth a punt as at that sort of money it's about the least expensive stag in the country for 2017 at the minute.

I see it went for 212. Somebody got a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by highland stalker View Post
    I see it went for 212. Somebody got a good deal.
    I would say that will be the best value stag in the UK in the 2017 season and a fantastic deal for someone, and it is real, wild, Hebridean stalking. Even if it had sold for 200 more it would still have been fantastic value but I hope that someone who might not normally be able to afford a red stag got it.

It is also worth noting that the money all goes to a very worthy cause in the Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust who do great work conserving the fishing in what is probably one of the best fishing destinations in the UK. Watch this space as it is possible they might have a few more lots to sell before this fund raising exercise ends and if I hear about it I will be sure to post.

Considered it myself. However in the description it said either a stag or hind could be taken, but trophy fees would be charge in addition to the auction price. Without knowing what they are put me off bidding. So I'm guessing the stag allowed would just be a four pointer or such like? Still for a coulpe hundred quid it will be a great day for someone I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Considered it myself. However in the description it said either a stag or hind could be taken, but trophy fees would be charge in addition to the auction price. Without knowing what they are put me off bidding.
    The trophy fees are clearly laid out on the Estate web site, from memory I think additional fees start with 10 pointers though Hebridean stalking is usually not about trophies but rather about "big days out." For 212 someone is getting a serious big day out, as I said I really do hope that it was someone who couldn't normally afford to do a day at red stags and I do imagine that most people would elect to try for a stag rather than a hind but, on the other hand, some folks prefer hind stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I would say that will be the best value stag in the UK in the 2017 season and a fantastic deal for someone, and it is real, wild, Hebridean stalking. Even if it had sold for 200 more it would still have been fantastic value but I hope that someone who might not normally be able to afford a red stag got it.

It is also worth noting that the money all goes to a very worthy cause in the Outer Hebrides Fisheries Trust who do great work conserving the fishing in what is probably one of the best fishing destinations in the UK. Watch this space as it is possible they might have a few more lots to sell before this fund raising exercise ends and if I hear about it I will be sure to post.
    Well thanks to you posting it here Caorach, the lucky bu**er was me! definitely a pint I owe you if we cross paths, thank you!
    Very much looking forward to planning a trip around this, I'm a keen fisherman too looks like I should take a week away.
    I'm not bothered by a trophy element really, it'll be a first time Scottish stalk for a West Country lad so I'm really looking forward to the experience of it all as much as anything.
    cheers
    Andy