Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended bullet for .30-06 (mainly roe/muntjac with the odd fallow)

Recommended bullet for .30-06 (mainly roe/muntjac with the odd fallow)

Hello,

I will be reloading for my new .30-06 in the near future and i would appreciate any advice that you may have with regards to the most appropriate type of bullet.

I will mainly be using it on roe with the odd muntjac and fallow thrown in from time to time.

I was thinking about a bonded bullet to hopefully keep carcass damage to a minimum, i know shot placement is key but it doesn't always work out as planned etc etc. The rifle currently shoots 180 grn soft points well so i was thinking about something similar.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Carry on with the 180's, first rule is to hit what you are aiming at, although you might "knock them" a bit hard with that set up, possibly load them a little lighter than normal, avoid ballistic tips! a friend shot a roe with one, the front of the carcuss was wasted, and the bruising went all the way onto the top of the left leg , also dog food at best . good luck ......better still use a243 is you can .

I use 150gn game kings in mine, mainly for reds but will shoot roe with them if i get the opportunity and the reds are hiding. I load them tame at 2750fps and am very happy with them. I tried ballistic tipped a max in summer and it was a disaster, really unimpressed so i will be sticking with simple soft points.

I use 125g or 150g federal factory on plenty of roe, no problem.

180 Nosler Partitions, perfect for all deer.

Cheers

Richard

not quite the same but I use 180gr in 300wm
    beauty of hand loading is you can tailor the velocity to the quarry

I have a nice "roe" load for my .270 130gr too, runs about 2750fps

key is shot placement
    rely on the energy to do its job and avoid bones
    rear lung should leave clean carcases

For small deer, the M1 Garand mild 200-yard match loads of a 125-gr Sierra Prohunter are very accurate, and not pulverize the deer. You can find these loads on the Internet for about any powder, although most NRA Garand shooters would use 4895, even for a mild load, to keep the pressure down and reasonable forces on the operating rod. Just get it down around 2,700 FPS, no more than 2,800.

SD Regular
    I'm just applying for a .30-06 too. I have in mind loading it down to about 2,600 or 2,700 with 165 grain or 180 grain cup and core bullets. I'll let you know when it is granted and whoever of us is first to the kill can post our results maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    For small deer, the M1 Garand mild 200-yard match loads of a 125-gr Sierra Prohunter are very accurate, and not pulverize the deer. You can find these loads on the Internet for about any powder, although most NRA Garand shooters would use 4895, even for a mild load, to keep the pressure down and reasonable forces on the operating rod. Just get it down around 2,700 FPS, no more than 2,800.
    I will second Southern's comment a 125/130 Sierra soft point at 2'700 will handle Roe fallow stags and hinds without a problem.

Thanks for the help guys. I was definitely going to avoid ballistic tips, and i wasn't planning on pushing the bullet too fast either as i rarely shoot further than 200m.

Iv had good success with game kings in .243 but i didn't know if they would perform well on the smaller deer in this caliber. What advantage do the pro hunters have over the game kings?

Iv heard good things about partitions so il look into them too.

Thanks