Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12inch barrel and folding stock?

12inch barrel and folding stock?

Hi guys,

I've got a 12 inch barrel on my ruger 10/22 to make vehicle shooting easier.

The overall length is greater than 24 inches and it currently has a fixed hogue stock.

If I buy and use a folding stock and when folded the rifle is under 24inches am I breaking the law?

I've done a little research and there is no definitive answer as to if the overall measurement includes the folded state.

If someone is going to answer with; "if the gun is capable of firing when the stock is folded...." then I must state that the gun is also capable of firing with no stock at all, which is quickly removable with a single screw. This is clearly a grey area and there is no clear message in home office guidance to police.

Does anyone care to offer up some hard evidence either way?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    Hi guys,

If I buy and use a folding stock and when folded the rifle is under 24 inches am I breaking the law?
    Yes you would be.

The requirement is Overall length. Not overall length folded/unfolded, or in components.

Yes, but where does it state what the overall length means?

What i'm getting at is the rifle is not designed to be fired without a stock, just like it's not designed to be fired when a folded stock is folded, but it can be in both circumstances.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    What i'm getting at is the rifle is not designed to be fired without a stock, just like it's not designed to be fired when a folded stock is folded, but it can be in both circumstances.

Thanks
    and in both cases I think you would be breaking the overall length requirement.
    from the guidance
    In terms of measurement, section 57 (6) of the Firearms Act 1968 makes provision for the
    barrel to be measured from the muzzle to the point at which the charge is exploded on
    firing. In measuring the overall length, any detachable, folding, retractable or other movable
    butt-stock should be disregarded in accordance with section 5(8) of the 1968 Act.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Minimum barrel length for a rifle is 12" and minimum overall length is 24".
    This means you can have folding stocks as long as the firearm is no shorter than the minimum 24".
    High-capacity shotguns are governed by the overall lengths in place for other shotguns.
    Therefore minimum barrel length is 24" and minimum OAL is 40".
    http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=235

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    In measuring the overall length, any detachable, folding, retractable or other movable
    butt-stock should be disregarded in accordance with section 5(8) of the 1968 Act.
    And once again the British law leaves grey areas.... my stock is detachable in about 5 seconds with a single screw, thus why is this included in the measurement?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate, but these laws which are open to interpretation can lead to someone unintentionally breaking them. In my eyes there is no such thing as 'common sense' in a court of law.

The issue is that if the rifle CAN be shortened to less than 24 inches then it is illegal (Section 5) and you are commiting an offence. The law doesn't necessarily make sense but personally I would not risk 5 years in clink, the confiscation and loss of my firearms and the permanant revocation of my FAC and SGC just to argue the toss in court.

Feel free to try it yourself but if you do intend to try I would suggest that you contact your shooting organisation first to see if they would be prepared to fund a legal case before you take any action.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

In terms of measurement, section 57 (6) of the Firearms Act 1968 makes provision for the
    barrel to be measured from the muzzle to the point at which the charge is exploded on
    firing. In measuring the overall length, any detachable, folding, retractable or other movable

Butt-Stock is the section rear of the pistol grip. It is this part that is referred to, if it is removable or can be reduced in length then it can make a firearm illegal in length.
    Removing the whole stock is making it impractical to use, or to conceal and then use quickly.
    It is the concealing that is the issue.

Any folding part of the stock doesn't count if it can still be operated when folded. As for "it works with no stock", that comes under "disassembled firearm"

The 12/24 rule is why my folding trg has a 14" barrel to keep the folded length over 24"

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK