The Three-Calibre British Hunter – What would you choose?

Sidewinder

Hiya,
I am rethinking my UK rifle battery, and as an American I am confused. If you had 3 centrefire slots on your FAC and wanted to comfortably hunt everything in the UK from fox to red, with the option of being able to hunt boar and plains (but not dangerous) game abroad, what three would you choose?

1)
Small Game/Varmint Calibre – (eg .204, .223, 22-250). I am thinking .223 as I can shoot a munti while hunting fox.

2) Medium Game – (.243, 6.5x55, 6.5-284 etc.). I am thinking of sticking with my 6.5-284 just because I have and love it.

3) Boar / Larger Game – (300 or 338 Mags, 9.3x62). This is where I am having the problem. I have a slot for a .340 Weatherby but it’s restricted to use abroad. Any suggestions?

Sorry I am taking up airtime, but I have some free time as Christmas approaches, and please no calibre food fights! I really am looking for advice.

-Z

Last edited:
22lr, .308, 8x57 and .375h&h (not restricted) that's got all my hunting covered. Make sure you have justified your reasons for the larger caliber and fight for it, assuming you have good reason and not just 'want'.

1 rifle 3 calibres...

.204 Ruger
6.5x55
.300 Weatherby Magnum

Think that covers pretty much everything

I'm lucky with the 300 wby that I don't live in an area with a pedantic licencing office. Mine was granted for larger deer species and wild boar both here and abroad

Last edited:
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one.

I think the sensible version is probably .243, .270 and 30-06. Doubt any police force is going to object and it will get all the jobs done you have asked for. You could argue that you should leave the .270 off as you can load the 30-06 with 130 grain bullets if you want to.

The not so sensible reloading geeks answer might be 6mm6.5*47, 280AI and 300 Win Mag. 70 grain, 140 grain and 200 grain bullets. Great spread of energies that will cover everything you bump into. The police might grump a little about the Win Mag but there are plenty on here who have them on an open ticket, it's only a 30 Cal :)

The other thing worth mentioning is that all my firearms are also covered for use target shooting with my club so it is only a small step for them to add a condition and (soon to be no more) expanding ammo rather than having to grant purely for hunting.

The other thing worth mentioning is that all my firearms are also covered for use target shooting with my club so it is only a small step for them to add a condition and (soon to be no more) expanding ammo rather than having to grant purely for hunting.

hmm...that seems like good advice

Well for what its worth I have 22 lr, 243, 270, 308 and king of all 30-06 covers me for anything I want to hunt in almost any country in the world. To be honest the 243 will do anything in the UK except boar perhaps. My go to gun is the 30-06 just love it.
Tusker

I have a broad mix a .22wmr, .223, 30-06 and the love or loath it .300wm all open from the MET I think that covers me well for all the uk has a the odd trip to Africa or Europe should the need arise

For a variety of reasons, I've only been using a 308 for most of this year, foxes to reds. I previously used a 222, a 243 and a 308 to cover all that. I don't really miss them.

I do switch to a 270 occasionally, and really like that too.

1)
Small Game/Varmint Calibre – (eg .204, .223, 22-250). I am thinking .223 as I can shoot a munti while hunting fox.

2) Medium Game – (.243, 6.5x55, 6.5-284 etc.). I am thinking of sticking with my 6.5-284 just because I have and love it.

3) Boar / Larger Game – (300 or 338 Mags, 9.3x62). This is where I am having the problem. I have a slot for a .340 Weatherby but but it’s restricted to use abroad. Any suggestions?

You are well covered with your first two choices, so no need for additional outlay over what you already have. You can make a justified case for any larger calibre to be conditioned for UK use once overseas use is accepted as your primary 'good reason' - all the references you need to support your application are contained in the HO Guidance. PM me with an external email address if you want a crib sheet.

BTW. Personal preference for the big banger is a 9.3x62 - great round available in many manufacturer's offerings, that doesn't cost the earth to feed.

You will have to excuse my ignorance as I have never owned a 223/22-250 or any other 22cal gun. I use a 6mm for foxes. 70 grains at 3550 fps seems to be very flat and hard hitting. None seem to walk away. The bonus is that I can load heavier bullets and use it for Muntjac, Roe and Fallow too. What am I missing as there are a lot of people who seem to love 223/22-250.

With the 223 at least it's a lot less powder and cheaper bullets. That's the reason I've recently got a 222 as it's cheaper to feed for foxes for the distances I shoot and places I shoot too.

.223 and a 30-06 would do it all in two guns.

But then I have a mate that does it all in one gun with his 270, foxes right up to sambar.

We live in an age of the magnum myth where people believe they're that next step above. In reality out to say 5-600 m which covers over 95% of hunters ranges ballistically the difference between a 30-06 and a 300wm is negligible.

I sold all my magnums and now I'm back to the good old '06. Don't have a varmint cal as I only now bowhunt varmints but I do have a 50 cal muzzleloader. If I was to add another gun I'd buy a 9.3x62 in something like a sake 85 Bavarian full wood just to have as a safe queen.

With the 223 at least it's a lot less powder and cheaper bullets. That's the reason I've recently got a 222 as it's cheaper to feed for foxes for the distances I shoot and places I shoot too.

Understood. I only shoot 20 or 25 foxes a year so not worth investing in a different gun to do it with.

Back