Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: co terminous certs

co terminous certs

Shotgun cert due Feb 17 and FAC due May 17 so after reminder for shotgun applied for co terminal cert. A nice young lady rang me to say "sorry you can only apply when your FAC comes up for renewal". Seems a bit silly to me, any thoughts?
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

my last lot i went co-ter and lost a couple of months off the shottie by getting them together ,,they are both together,now in a draw in manchester living quite well by all accounts.in your case its the other way around your shotties up first.go for it its your cash
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 12-12-2016 at 20:54.
    DONT START

Ask her to put that in writing

On a serious note, go ahead and apply for the co-terminous.

She's right... Apparently you can change an SGC to come inline with an FAC, but not the other way around.

You'll have to park anything on your SGC with your RFD, then apply to co-term with your FAC in May (How many TLAs?????) Means you'll lose a couple of months with the guns, so only you can know if that's feasible

That said, given how long some forces are taking on turning around licences, it might happen anyway, without any joined-up thinking!!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako P94S .22lr
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Shotgun cert due Feb 17 and FAC due May 17 so after reminder for shotgun applied for co terminal cert. A nice young lady rang me to say "sorry you can only apply when your FAC comes up for renewal". Seems a bit silly to me, any thoughts?
    how long are they taking to process renewals in your area? in my area you could apply for both in feb and still be waiting in august so wheres the problem ?

from Durham Constabulary's website

he idea of a "coterminous" shotgun certificate is to allow the holder of a firearms certificate, to have his shotgun certificate expire on the same day. When the grant of both shotgun and firearm certificates are applied for at the same time, this will obviously be the case. However, many holders of one style of certificate, often make an application for the other style of certificate during the life time of the original. This means that there would be two separate dates for renewal and two lots of fees to pay. By linking the expiry dates of both certificates the former problem is eliminated and the subsequent overall fee is reduced.
    Please note that the reduced fee only comes into effect when both certificates are dealt with at the same time. This arrangement obviously reduces police time and expense resulting in a saving being passed to the applicant.
    If the holder of a firearm certificate applies for the grant of a shotgun certificate, before his firearm certificate expires, he can request a coterminous shotgun certificate. This would mean that his new shotgun certificate would not run its full life span (currently five years), but would expire on the same date as the firearms certificate. The cost of the new shotgun certificate would be the full price (currently £50), but the subsequent renewal would be reduced (currently £10).
    If the holder of a firearms certificate applies for the grant of a shotgun certificate at the same time as requesting renewal of his firearms certificate, then the reduced fee for the shotgun certificate comes into effect straight away, as both certificates are being dealt with together.
    Please note that it is only the expiry date of the shotgun certificate which can be brought forward, firearm certificate expiry dates cannot be altered to coincide with shotgun certificates.
    However, if the holder of a shotgun certificate applies for the grant of a firearm certificate, he has three options:
    Firstly, he can apply for the grant of the firearm certificate at the same time as renewing his shotgun certificate, thus taking advantage of the reduced fee for the latter.
    Secondly, he can apply for the grant of the firearm certificate and wait and renew his shotgun certificate coterminously when it expires, paying the full fee on this occasion but a reduced fee on the next renewal.
    Thirdly, he can surrender his shotgun certificate early and apply for renewal which would be issued on the same day as his new firearms certificate, and pay the reduced fee for the shotgun certificate.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Agree it seems a bit odd, but I was told the same thing a few years ago, now we have airgun licensing they can also be aligned with a FAC certificate.

Airgun certificate hasn't come through yet if its not here by the 31st of this month I will have to lodge them with an RFD
    in spite of the fact that I have both a FAC and a SGC.

The law is indeed an Ass

Hi Bogtrotter,

I believe that the understanding is if you have a current FAC/SC that they will cover your air rifles until there date expires but please check with your local firearms department

Cheers Paul D

I was in the same boat as you and after a long chat with cambs the only sensible way to sort it within the law was to renew sgc then re do it at fac time. This was prior to the increase in fees done to save money in years to come. Cant remember the costs now.

Quote Originally Posted by paul dillon View Post
    Hi Bogtrotter,

I believe that the understanding is if you have a current FAC/SC that they will cover your air rifles until there date expires but please check with your local firearms department

Cheers Paul D
    That's correct but FAC and SGC expired and renewed but no airgun certificate as yet ( its a different department that does airgun licensing) if the certificate has not arrived by the end of December I need to lodge airguns with RFD until it does.

I had the same thing. I had to renew my SGC for a year, to then come in line with my FAC so both could become coterminous when the FAC came up for renewal.
    Starbucks. It's not my cup of tea.