Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Gillie Howe, SBS Legend and ambassador for long range pistol shooting

RIP Gillie Howe, SBS Legend and ambassador for long range pistol shooting

I found out this morning that Gillie had passed away yesterday and as I'm sure there are many on here that will know him there are also some that will have served with him but lost touch..

A Royal Marine he spent most of his service years in the SBS at one time being the most decorated man since the Second World War.

He was also World Class B pistol champion and an ambassador for long range pistol shooting, running the Christchurch Gun Club and East Holme range days along with countless events at Bisley.

A great man who I met through my father and spent many enjoyable years throwing Radway Green down the ranges.

RIP Gillie a SBS Legend and true gentleman.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I knew Gillie from some thirty years ago and am sorry to hear of his passing.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 12-12-2016 at 21:47.

Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the NSS, Scone & Moy 2018

RIP Gillie
    you were a font of reloading info from where I learned a great deal thank you.

In my early days of stalking with a 303, I visited his shop often, he would often give us advice on this or that load, never a quick job buyin ammo , but a font of knowledge. RIP a legend.

one of the last rip

I got to know Gillie through re-loading in the early eighties but it wasn't until I read an article about him in a Sunday Supplement back in the mid eighties that I realised what a real legend he was.
    It gave a short tale of him and a band of Marines that got up to allsorts in the Borneo area !
    There are/were still one or two of his band of men living in the Salisbury area of Wiltshire.
    There will never be men of Gillie's character or men to do what Gillie and some of his comrades did again.
    RIP Gillie.

Very sad news, one of life's truely great characters.
    RIP Gillie

Absolute Gent who was intolerant of fools but always happy to advise and encourage...sadly missed...

Gone, but will never be forgotten by anyone who met him.