Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallow buck stalking - any recommendations?

Fallow buck stalking - any recommendations?

Hi all,
    hope you're all well and having some luck out there. Was hoping I could ask the groups advice about fallow stalking, I've not had much experience or many contacts with this species but can usually rely on you guys for some sound direction.

Im looking for recommendations for an outfit that could take me out fallow buck stalking for a good representative or medal buck. I'm based in northern England but happy to travel and would want to avoid "park" deer, if there's anyone whose made a real good impression on you, and is value for money if really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, hope I can return a favour in the future.

Steve

Sikamalc ,all the way many many of us on here got our first Fallow with Malc .Big country estate lots of Fallow ,and Roe as well .Great bloke happy to pass his experience to us newbies and a great fry up with good craic atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

I would be very wary of anyone saying they can get you any sort of Fallow medal...in the UK, they are rarer than hens teeth. There are thousands of Fallow bucks shot every year only a hand full make it to medal standard. For example last year. Here is the CIC review for last year:

Only one English fallow achieved Gold in 2015, a Hampshire buck from Mr S. Middleton. One Silver medal came from Essex (Mr N. Fulton) and five Bronze medals, two from West Sussex and one each from Northamptonshire, Yorkshire and Hampshire. As we have come to expect, the best of the year came from Hungary, with two Gold medal heads shot by Ross Minerva at 190.23 and 188.25 CIC points. CIC member Daniel Mulholland brought a Silver medal head back from the same country that scored 175.98 points.

That's 7 in the whole country , compared with the hundreds of Roe. Hampshire (ie New Forest) seems to be the most represented so you might improve your chances by choosing someone from there and if by the slimmest of chances you do shoot one be prepared to get your hand in your pocket!
    What I am trying to say is don't pay over the odds to someone who says they have medal heads because they don't . By all means suggest a premium once the thing is scored.
    It might be better to spend your money and effort going abroad somewhere like Hungary where you have a much better chance.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    I would be very wary of anyone saying they can get you any sort of Fallow medal...in the UK, they are rarer than hens teeth. There are thousands of Fallow bucks shot every year only a hand full make it to medal standard. For example last year. Here is the CIC review for last year:

Only one English fallow achieved Gold in 2015, a Hampshire buck from Mr S. Middleton. One Silver medal came from Essex (Mr N. Fulton) and five Bronze medals, two from West Sussex and one each from Northamptonshire, Yorkshire and Hampshire. As we have come to expect, the best of the year came from Hungary, with two Gold medal heads shot by Ross Minerva at 190.23 and 188.25 CIC points. CIC member Daniel Mulholland brought a Silver medal head back from the same country that scored 175.98 points.

That's 7 in the whole country , compared with the hundreds of Roe. Hampshire (ie New Forest) seems to be the most represented so you might improve your chances by choosing someone from there and if by the slimmest of chances you do shoot one be prepared to get your hand in your pocket!
    What I am trying to say is don't pay over the odds to someone who says they have medal heads because they don't . By all means suggest a premium once the thing is scored.
    It might be better to spend your money and effort going abroad somewhere like Hungary where you have a much better chance.
    100% agree with your opening comments but would add there are people who shoot medal class Deer of various species but never put it about
    I

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Sikamalc ,all the way many many of us on here got our first Fallow with Malc .Big country estate lots of Fallow ,and Roe as well .Great bloke happy to pass his experience to us newbies and a great fry up with good craic atb

^^ What Iain said.
    "If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun."

Self confessed Schultz and Larsen addict.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post

Very true. I was lucky and shot a just under gold wild one in the new forest in 2007/8 (can't remember) but paid a fair price for it .
    Fallow is the most mismanaged deer in our Isles and also I have seen many people who cant give an accurate estimation of scoring so anything that is big or palmated is a "medal"!

Anyone who guarantees any medal or taking a wild animal when out stalking is asking for trouble, there are never any cast iron guarantees in this game. Very true what has been posted with regards to taking a wild medal Fallow buck. They are like hens teeth. Too many good prickets and sorrels are shot at times.

However I have Fallow on the estate I manage and also on a two smaller areas nearby which has a number of rutting stands on them. I also have all 4 colour phases present. I have only taken one mature buck this year with a very poor head. Occasionally we get a real palmed up buck of good quality and I aim on being in the West Sussex area this coming year as previous years I have been in Scotland. We have seen very good heads on odd occasions but have left them. Whether that was the right decision I don't know, as many of the surrounding areas have a shoot on sight policy it seems.

If you are after a really big buck you might want to try Cowdrey Park in East Sussex as they do get some large heads. Other wise please feel free to drop me a PM. Good luck with your search.

I am back at it tomorrow on the Fallow does.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post

If you are after a really big buck you might want to try Cowdrey Park in East Sussex as they do get some large heads. Other wise please feel free to drop me a PM. Good luck with your search.

I am back at it tomorrow on the Fallow does.
    I think all of Cowdray estate is run as a syndicate.

This Fallow Buck keeps setting off my trail cam...Bloody nuisance...��

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1855.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	77293

I think the comments about too many good prickets and sorrels being shot is true, it's difficult to assess a juvenile in terms of potential.

One of the problems with fallow is that there are not many places where a population is well managed given that there are very few places where a population is contained within one estate. This means that, given the fallow propensity to wander, any that stray off are liable to be knocked off. Big bucks often hole up in small outlying woods, especially where stalking pressure is high and again may be knocked off by opportunists unconnected with any management plan.

I keep an eye on the Shooting Times lists and I have a note of 40 gold medal wild fallow heads shot (or found dead) this century, only 16 came from counties other than Hampshire or Sussex and no other county has more than two golds on the list. That should give the OP a good idea of where to look.