BMH advert

Dan Newcombe

Has anyone else seen the advert in the shooting times this week?

BMH pups for £500

Dont have any connection to the seller and have no idea why they are so much less than the bavarians usually go for but if you are looking for one it might be worth a bit more investigation

Dan

More than plenty for a dog and the more money they cost the more they will fall foul to the money men and be out of reach of the genuine hunting lands. Keep the price down and the working ability up dont sell to any one that shoots less than 20 deer a year as they dont need one,:lol:

Now Choc i never said i was going to buy one. You know i have my Chesapeakes.

Incidentally...........where are the pics of the rifle?

Hi Dan

I am selling mine for that price I did not breed to make a fortune just for my mates that have seen how good my bitch is and wanted one maybe this guy has done the same.

Kelvin, if you have some for sale can you send me details please, i am looking to get a bitch currently. Thanks

The price seems to vary from what I have seen. The important thing is to look at the parents and the lineage of the dog you are about to invest time and money in! £500 is a lot of money, but put it against the dog/bitch you may end up spending the next 10+ years working with its not a lot.

People spend that on a scope, in fact many spend in excess of £1000 on a scope. Spending the right amount on the right scope for the job is no different to a good deer dog in my opinion ;) providing it is from a good working strain. Most good working Labs start at about £400 to £500, not that I have ever owned a Lab, I am just going by prices I have seen in the past.

Whatever dog you choose for the job I wish you all well and hope you have many good days in the field with what can be and most times are the best of companions.

If the dog is to be used for hunting it will need to be in reach of most hunters.If you price it in the high bracket you will only get the ones interested in makeing money from it. Britain has produced the best working dogs in the world most of the being used abroad reason they were given to working homes.This gose for terriers or hounds or gundogs there is not a trail .So keep the price real and make sure they work and come from working stock if some one says that they think they would work because they found a hedge hog while out walking then walk away. I worked terriers for years to many to think about and i certainly would never of bought a terrier pup from some one unless the parents were proven so the hip score etc did not matter as it would have shown up well before they were bred off .The dog in question would have been put down.

I disagree with your comments Davie, asking a higher price for a good dog with a good pedigree and background is to be expected. No disrespect but equating a digging dog a Terrier to a BMH is not quite the same to me, both dogs have different jobs to do, although I will admit some terriers can make good deer dogs, its just that they are difficult to control :lol::lol:

BMH are still fairly new to the UK, on the continent they have been used for years and specifically bred for the purpose of tracking/blood spooring wounded large game. When you have people who are now cross breeding this breed with Labs etc, that is when you will find problems arising, why people do it is beyond me!

Like I said before would you buy a Nikko Sterling for your 308, or a Zeiss/Swarovski?

If you find a good BMH with good working lineage for £500 grab it, you will not regret buying it.

Sorry malk but terrier have been bred here and have been exported all over the world reason they are the best at what they do fox hounds trail hound labs setters have all been bred here and most of the germen breeds have our stuff in them the jaged terrier through to the GWP. The reason they are the Best at what they do is because they were bred for work not for profit. I have given many a terrier away to friends and associates but ask that if they are good dogs or bitches that the favour be returned. Any dog that commands a high price seems to fall by the way side. I can get a working lakeland for 100 notes a show one will cost me 600+ I know which one i would have .Just look at what has happend to the WHV they came here for work have found pet show homes and now command high prices but show very little work qualitys its sad but true.
With regards would i by a cheap scope no but i would by one with wheels on the side and with a 100 x mag etc etc its got to do a job .

And the BMH is found all over the near continent, and have been bred for blood spooring just as long as many other breeds, except they have been perfected for blood spooring. Terriers have not!

A good BMH does the job perfectly, and the vast majority are worked or at least should be, it would be a crime not to, so this stigma that they are all show dogs is b////ks.

Have you ever watched a BMH work? Last week my dog found two Sika stags and took myself and client straight to them. Without the dog we would have never known they were there, after they were shot, they both ran which is not unusual for Sika, and although only about 50yds away they both fell in deep bracken and the dog found them in a minute.

I will stick with my BMH and you can stick with your Terriers ;)

A good BMH does the job perfectly, and the vast majority are worked or at least should be, it would be a crime not to, so this stigma that they are all show dogs is b////ks.

Yes, I was wondering where all these BMH 'show' dogs are? ;)

Can't be at Crufts - the KC didn't know much about them until recently and even now have scant information on the breed.

So both parents are KC registred but the pups come with no papers:rolleyes::fib:

you may hav to pay more if you want the papers included
Many show breeders sell pups in this way to stop the mass buying up their pups and breeding recklessly and then using the original breeders reptutation to help sell the pups
Basically as I see it
It's the breeders way to protect their own name and also allow pups to go to homes where they are not intending to breed from their pup, but still get a good pedigree line of dog for less than the market price

Also very possible that the breeder here has bought two BMHs from a breeder who has put conditions on breeding. With BMH the usual conditions are hip scoring and track tests. If the seller here has not had conditions removed there would be no KC registering of his pups.

No papers, no buy no money. I think thats a crap excuse about not wanting them to breed off their pups. If you have paid for the pup its your property its up to you the owner in my opinion. I wouldnt buy a pedigree pup BMH or otherwise without the papers.

Go elsewhere is my advice.

Back