Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What mounting system

What mounting system

Hi, I'm asking more for a how to i guess. Basically I want to be able to switch over from a night vison unit to a conventional scope (normal lamping), without having to re zero each time? My foxing rifle is a .222 tikka t3. I was looking at a drone pro which I believe has its own clamping device for a picattiny rail? And then have my schmidt 3-12 x 56. Thanks.

I have a Tikka T3 and fitted a steel Contessa rail from Alan Rhone and use it with my day scope and Yukon Photon both in Leupold QRW rings. I've had it on the range and shot groups and then swapped scopes and swapped back again and all shots are within an inch at 100m. Not 100% sure about the Drone but Mark Ripley (aka 260Rips) uses leupold QRW on his day scope and uses a Drone Pro. He's shot videos of him putting the day scope on and then hitting the centre of a 6" steel plate at 300m with no change in zero.

Ok thanks for that. I will have a look. I see how it works now.

Longbow?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I've done it with my pulsar n550 night vision on a picatinny rail on my rifle and changed back to my Schmidt and Bender PM11 scope for day.
    The zero didn't noticeably change. I had third eye tactical mounts on my rifle. I think your supposed to use a torque wrench to make sure your putting the scope back on to the same torque etc. Even without the wrench it didn't make much of a difference.
    The only thing is with a picatinny rail there is room for the scope to slide about a bit with the oversized slots in the rail so I made sure I slid the scope to the front of the slots each time incase this made a difference.
    The biggest issue I found about it all was that mentally it didn't fill me with confidence in my rifle when I just had the scope off and was then trying to hit targets that I had no idea if my scope was back on zero but maybe thats because I didn't swap it often.
    Now I just designate a rifle for the night work.

I've been using a drone for 3 years and swap it with a day scope in Leupold QR mounts daily. No zero issues. Buy a reckangel rail for the tikka

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I have a Tikka T3 and fitted a steel Contessa rail from Alan Rhone and use it with my day scope and Yukon Photon both in Leupold QRW rings. I've had it on the range and shot groups and then swapped scopes and swapped back again and all shots are within an inch at 100m. Not 100% sure about the Drone but Mark Ripley (aka 260Rips) uses leupold QRW on his day scope and uses a Drone Pro. He's shot videos of him putting the day scope on and then hitting the centre of a 6" steel plate at 300m with no change in zero.
    What yukon photon do you have nun hunter, if you don't mind me asking?

I have the 6.5x50. I find it fine for foxes and rabbits up to 100m. I had it on a 17hmr and now use it on my 243. I know others shoot further with theirs but for me the image quality is limited to about 150m max but maybe a different ir instead of the cheap T67 I have may improve that. I too was initially worried about the return to zero but after a few range sessions I was happy that if there was any change in zero it was less than my ability to consistently shoot sub moa. As mentioned with the picatinny rail you need to slide the rings to the front of the picatinny slots so the rings don't move with recoil and means you keep the scope in the same place each time. I don't think you're a million miles away from me so if you want to come and see my set up just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I have the 6.5x50. I find it fine for foxes and rabbits up to 100m. I had it on a 17hmr and now use it on my 243. I know others shoot further with theirs but for me the image quality is limited to about 150m max but maybe a different ir instead of the cheap T67 I have may improve that. I too was initially worried about the return to zero but after a few range sessions I was happy that if there was any change in zero it was less than my ability to consistently shoot sub moa. As mentioned with the picatinny rail you need to slide the rings to the front of the picatinny slots so the rings don't move with recoil and means you keep the scope in the same place each time. I don't think you're a million miles away from me so if you want to come and see my set up just let me know.
    Yes that would be useful sometime, thankyou. I have a photon 5 x 42 at the moment but would like to upgrade to something better eventually.

The only downside is find with the 6.5 is the field of view is quite small. Often I've scanned and seen a fox, got the rifle up on sticks only to spend 2 mins trying to find it in the scope!