Thread: Tedious !

Tedious !

I hate reading posts where people give ill advice, be it through ignorance, or arrogance. I hate the idea that I may do the same, be it when advising a customer, or trying to help anyone who's asked me a question.

If I don't know the answer to something, I'll say so. If I need to find the answer, I'll speak to someone more knowledgeable, and if I don't know someone who can help, some time spent on the internet normally tells me what I need to know.

Someone asked me to help them with a variation, & for "expanding ammunition", where they were struggling to "communicate" with firearms staff

Quote from firearms staff email:

Just because someone re-loads doesn’t mean that we can allow them to ‘stock-plie’. Rounds are counted when they are loaded, so you can still possess the component parts, and you can still buy in bulk.

I knew the law, but wanted to provide the person with the exact section from the HO guidelines. I found what I needed within a few minutes, and emailed the person the section they needed to provide his firearms officer, to qualify, and justify their request. It's not rocket science !

Why are Firearms Licensing staff still giving out incorrect information, that could get an FAC holder into a whole lot of trouble, when all they need to do is ask, or spend a few minutes looking up their own guidelines

Thank goodness it's not my office !

It sounds as though the FLD people were assuming non-S5 bullets were involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Assumption being the mother of all Łuck-ups
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    You'd think so, but nope, rifle, and ammunition requested, to be conditioned for deer, and boar, the same as their current rifle.

Unfortunately when the pay isn't great you're never going to attract the best staff who are going to be concientious enough to check and make sure they're right, most probably will but if you're unlucky enough to get the one person who doesn't really care or is to lazy to check then life becomes difficult. Just like in a shop when you ask a member of staff if something is in stock, it's pot luck if you get the one who will actually check or the one who just goes out the back for a chat with their mate and then tells you it's out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Unfortunately when the pay isn't great you're never going to attract the best staff who are going to be concientious enough to check and make sure they're right, most probably will but if you're unlucky enough to get the one person who doesn't really care or is to lazy to check then life becomes difficult. Just like in a shop when you ask a member of staff if something is in stock, it's pot luck if you get the one who will actually check or the one who just goes out the back for a chat with their mate and then tells you it's out of stock.
    I understand what you're saying, but can't agree with the comparison. If a shop doesn't have what I want, or can't be bothered to check, I just go to another shop.

We don't have that luxury when dealing with the FLD, and whilst some of the HO guidelines are open to interpretation, others are "LAW". We all know how much time is wasted, and hassle people go through, because of this interpretation, but the "LAW" should be straight forward, whether we agree with it, or not.

I would also say that this isn't some obscure rule, or law, but one that applies to every FAC application, or variation for a rifle, and ammunition. It's the basics !!!

Thats true, I was more comparing human nature and the lottery of who you get dealing with you when you speak to someone in a customer facing role.