Thread: WSB study: Sterilizing female deer doesn’t reduce deer populations

WSB study: Sterilizing female deer doesn’t reduce deer populations

In a newly published six-year study by WSB/Cornell University, researchers found surgical sterilisation on female whitetail deer was unsuccessful in lowering a population of overabundant deer.

http://wildlife.org/wsb-study-steril...r-populations/

they probably forget to take the pill everyday.

Interesting article. Definitely gives food for thought. Pity the study was restricted to the university area. I wonder if there was a correspnding drop in numbers in neighbouring areas?

Slightly OT, but after reading the article, I couldn't help but wonder if Kelis has been sterilised?

However, after reviewing the camera data, they determined there was a 38 percent decrease in sightings of adult females, a 79 percent decrease fawns, but an 873 percent increase in adult males. The authors hypothesized that the large number of adult male deer might be the result of continued estrus cycling until late winter or early spring in the female deer treated with tubal ligation. These females, the researchers suggest, attract more adult male deer to the campus.

Nothing I've ever found reduces deer populations quite as good as a well placed bullet ..

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    Nothing I've ever found reduces deer populations quite as good as a well placed bullet ..
    Tell that to the frign greens!
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.