Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 (22LR)

Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 (22LR)

Hi guys, does anybody have any experience with the above rifle? If so I would appreciate your views, I already have an Anshutz 1417 and a CZ 511 semi auto in 22LR, both are very good rifles but I fancy a change so I am thinking of selling my CZ511 and possibly changing to the above.

It would be used for some plinking, informal target shooting and possibly a bit of rabbit shooting if it is accurate enough. Incidently I can easily get 3/4 inch groups at 70 yards with the Cz semi auto so I was hoping it might be as accurate as that

I fully understand that many people on here will not like the look of a military type rifle but I was looking for some views from people who have actually owned or shot this rifle rather than detrimental comments of its appearance.

many thanks.

I have S&W M&P 15-22 and a bunch of other .22s. It is a very good military style practice rifle. But don't sell your CZ !! Just add another .22.

I have a Colt .22 LR conversion kit for the M-16, and had used it, just as I have used .22 conversions for the Colt 1911A1. But when these .22 versions of the HK MP5, AR-15, SIG-551, 1911A1, and other military rifles and handguns started coming out, I decided to go that route, as most of them are around $300 USD here.

After a bit of research, and talking with police who use the M&P .40 handgun and M&P-15 for a trunk rifle in their patrol cars, they are very happy with the M&P .22 pistol and the M&P 15-22. Many of the departments, and police personally, have tried other .22s as training rifles and found the S&W to be most like the AR-15s, and very accurate with even cheaper ammunition which fits its tighter, match chamber - but very reliable with all ammunition.

At the time, due to my military status, I was able to buy the handgun for about $200, and jumped on it. It impressed me for its "big gun" feel, reliability, and surprising accuracy. When the offer came from S&W comes for an M&P 15-22 at $250.00 with three magazines, I grabbed that, too. With its iron sights and vanilla Federal .22 LR blue box recommended by the S&W armorer, I was shooting 3/4 inch groups offhand at 50 yards, and very happy. I put on a 4x Mil Dot scope, and used that to hunt squirrels last year. Now, I am fitting some flip up front and rear sights on the top rail, and thinking of mounting a Nikon P22 scope with BDC reticle. It is a real joy to shoot, and great practice for all my AR-15s.

I have 1 and love it, seen them years ago when I was in Florida and bought 1 as soon as came home. I my opinion its the best value for money AR style 22 on the market. very reliable shoots all types of ammo including sub Sonic's and is quite accurate as well. I have a bolt action CZ varmint so I cant see me changing to any other 22 rifles anytime soon

As above,I have both the M&P 15 and a CZ Silhouette and would never sell either.
    The S&W is great fun for plinking and pretty much all the reviews agree this is the best on the market. I was under the impression that only high velocity ammo should be used in semi autos,which does make it louder that the CZ.
    I have an Eotech on mine for plinking and fast acquisition,but have just bought the Nikon 2-7 AR scope with mildots for .22 rim fire fitted to a Chinese one piece,QD AR mount(10, off Ebay),so will sell the Eotech.
    The only problem I had was with the pistol grip coming loose,as it's only held on with a single Allen bolt,and have heard of the threads getting stripped easily,so don't be too rough with the grip.
    Plenty of aftermarket bits,if I had the money I'd probably get a Magpul pistol grip and fore grip.
    Also,make sure you get at least one spare mag,you'll need it and up your .22 ammo allowance,it doesn't take long to get through a couple of boxes. Have fun.

I have the 15-22 in the MOE version which has a better pistol grip and stock than the standard. I love it! It shoots really well, very accurate (better than my ruger 10-22 ever was). extremely reliable, it cycles subsonic and standard faultlessly. It has all the controls that a proper AR has (except the forward assist, but I can't see you needing that on a .22) so if you are familiar with AR/M16/M4 (or wish to be) you will be very happy.

The biggest negative from some people's view is that it is a polymer build, which concerned me a bit but it is not a problem. i have also looked at spikes tactical and HK416 (umarex I think) which looked great but the spikes was way more expensive and the 416 is a pain to clean. I'm happy with my choice, great plinker and every time someone at the club tries it they hand it back grinning :-)

i personally would keep keep a more conventional rifle for rabbiting as though I love the look of it it sort of scares Joe public anywhere that you are likely to come across walkers etc and frankly I don't need the hassle.

I have had the FDE MOE version for around 3 years now (and probably getting on for 5000+ rounds) and I love it.

Good selection of AR bling too - Magpul, LaRue Tactical etc - so you can personalise it. Accuracy is great @ 50 yards and I found it to cycle subs well (Winchester 40's - not the 42's as they're too long for the rifle). RWS semi auto are superb but for value the CCi AR Tactical copper washed bricks of 300 are brilliant. Have had the odd FTF and a few stove-pipes but apart from that it rattles through everything (bar stingers, to hot for the twist IMO).

With the 50 round black dog mag on it's a hoot - I also changed the trigger for a flat blade CMC drop in FCG which is sublime and breaks like glass.

I stick to my Anschutz 1417 for rabbiting although it'll hold an inch at 60 so is more than capable although you will get funny looks when encountering the odd rambler!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9357.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	77294 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9358.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	77295 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9359.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	77296 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9360.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	77297
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Have a look at the Sig Sauer 522 Swat, people who have had both keep the Sig.

Ian.

+1 for the Sig. I wish I'd kept mine.

Forgot to mention the standard trigger is not good , pretty heavy military style, but you can drop in many standard AR replacements, the downside of that is that many of them are expensive, but cheapskate me has gone the simple but pretty effective route of fitting a JM replacement hammer Spring which cost 15 and took about 4 pounds off the pull which makes far nicer to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Forgot to mention the standard trigger is not good , pretty heavy military style, but you can drop in many standard AR replacements, the downside of that is that many of them are expensive, but cheapskate me has gone the simple but pretty effective route of fitting a JM replacement hammer Spring which cost 15 and took about 4 pounds off the pull which makes far nicer to shoot.
    + 1 - I was flush when I bought the CMC! Forgot to say also that 50yd off-hand (cheap) plinking is a rare pleasure made better for 15-22. My eldest son and I have passed some fun hours having at up-turned cans on canes.

I don't see many (if any) of these floating around second hand - that's a recommendation in itself
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT