Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Vision

Night Vision

I've just been asked to clear some wild boar after the game season. I was thinking about lamping but night vision seems to be more the norm.

So will one of the cheaper unit like the photon do the job and stand up to being on a 308?

recomemdations greatfully received

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    I've just been asked to clear some wild boar after the game season. I was thinking about lamping but night vision seems to be more the norm.

So will one of the cheaper unit like the photon do the job and stand up to being on a 308?

recomemdations greatfully received
    They are rated for calibres up to 6000J so you should be fine.

If it's for boar at shorter ranges then you might want to go for a 950nm IR to complement it as it's less visible to them. We can do this as a custom option in our Black Sun illuminators.

Cheers

Clive
    http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk
    High end night vision digital, tubed and thermal monoculars, rifle scopes, clip ons, add ons, IR Illuminators and accessories.

Digital, thermal and tubed night vision rifle scopes - Handheld thermal imagers

Clive
    what is the range like with the black sun illuminators compared to the likes of the NM 400
    cheers

Will the Photon be able to see the 950nm IR?

Ian.

Only to a very short range the photons are good for the value but over 50 metres no go, an add on is a great option like a cobra with a decent IR however all comes down to money

I shot foxes out to 200 with my mk1 photon and NM400 IR so I think 50 yards is a bit pessimistic. Having enough illumination is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerDucksFishin View Post
    Only to a very short range the photons are good for the value but over 50 metres no go, an add on is a great option like a cobra with a decent IR however all comes down to money
    I have a 4.6 x 42 Photon, and have found it far more capable than just 50m, even with the on board IR. With the addition of better IR, it's capable of 100m +, especially for boar. It's excellent value for money.

I'd suggest setting up a seat, and a feed station at 50-60m.

Edited because I got mixed up with what batteries the Photon uses. Yes, AA's, and they're cheap !, but sadly no external battery
    Last edited by Lateral; 16-12-2016 at 11:13. Reason: Muppet

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Clive
    what is the range like with the black sun illuminators compared to the likes of the NM 400
    cheers
    It's 2-3x the power so you should get 50-75% more range with the Black Sun in a B20 if you wanted to compare like for like.

Cheers

Clive
    http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk
    High end night vision digital, tubed and thermal monoculars, rifle scopes, clip ons, add ons, IR Illuminators and accessories.

Digital, thermal and tubed night vision rifle scopes - Handheld thermal imagers

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Will the Photon be able to see the 950nm IR?

Ian.
    I will rephrase that, will the sensor be able to pick up the IR at a wavelength of 950nm instead of the usual 850nm wavelength for which i believe the Photon is tuned for?

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I will rephrase that, will the sensor be able to pick up the IR at a wavelength of 950nm instead of the usual 850nm wavelength for which i believe the Photon is tuned for?

Ian.
    I bought a 940nm pill to try, I'll let you know.